/ Biking the Walking Haute Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave Kerr - on 23 Apr 2013
Anyone done this?

Or failing that, anyone walked it and cast a mountain bikers eye on it?

I know it's been done but struggling to find much info.

I tried on STW and got a few folks that knew it had been done but noone with personal experience.

Ta.
TimB - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:

I guess you've seen this already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsT0FZ7VoA8
Dave Kerr - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to TimB:

I hadn't seen that. Looks pretty good.
Boab on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Aye that does look reet braw.

If you hadn't seen that then maybe you missed the link to a map showing the route taken by Vaude riders on Pink bike.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6944925/Haute%20Route/gps/hauteroute-gesamt.htm

Long time nay see.

Bob
Dave Kerr - on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Boab:

Is it yerself Bob?

Thinking about doing it with Sanny in the summer having done the TMB a few years ago.
BCT on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr: I did this 2 summers ago. It is a magnificent walk, full of a variety. I can imagine biking it however there are some really rocky steep ascents that I know I would personally have to carry the bike for which I imagine is exhausting. I did it in July and there was still a lot of snow in places and in some parts it seemed maybe too deep for a bike but i'm not an avid biker so not too sure on that.
There are quite a few scree traverses. Also one section where you traverse a mountain on a very small path that would be very dodgy to bike on unless you has super balance. I was basically creeping around it worried to even walk briskly! but I used to be a bit of a wuss back then. I think going on a bike would be excellent fun just do lots of research...that video i good.

Good luck!
B
Dave Kerr - on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)I would personally have to carry the bike for which I imagine is exhausting. >

Happy to carry the bike for a significant amount of time to access a good descent.

Think I'm going to go for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.