UKC

Ropes for Alpine/Mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt250 26 Apr 2013
I've started doing a bit of winter stuff and I'm going for an Alpine trip this summer. I have a pair of 60m DMM Migrant ropes and I was wondering if it's alright to use 1 1/2 rope when moving together on relatively easy terrain.

I can't see why it wouldn't be given the low likelihood of a fall and more importantly the fact that it's a relatively low factor fall.

Thanks
 d_b 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Matt250:

I think it's pretty common to use a half rope when moving together. I certainly do myself, and have survived so far.

Keeping a second half rope in one of the bags in case of real climbing is a good idea if you plan to go on anything difficult or abseil, but for snow plods and easy scrambles I wouldn't bother.
 jon 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Matt250:

Technically no problem, especially if you double it. Practically however, shortening down a 60m rope with shoulder coils for moving together is a pain in the arse. A much better solution is to identify what sort of routes interest you and then buy a dedicated rope for that purpose. For example general mountaineering routes up to say AD rarely need more than a 30m lightweight single. You can buy this off the reel.
 David Barratt 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Matt250: Last year we used one of my 60m half ropes and I'd say it's safe. but body coils are a pain with that much rope. I've just bought the Beal Joker 35m 9.2mm single rope for the purpose of alpine/mountauineering/scrambling. Only down side is that if I want to ab. I'll only have 17.5m.
 arnyrogers 27 Apr 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to Matt250) Last year we used one of my 60m half ropes and I'd say it's safe. but body coils are a pain with that much rope. I've just bought the Beal Joker 35m 9.2mm single rope for the purpose of alpine/mountauineering/scrambling. Only down side is that if I want to ab. I'll only have 17.5m.

You could use 35m's of 5-6mm chord to set up your retrievable abseil. Utilising the full length of your single rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...