UKC

Adopt a Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ashaw 29 Apr 2013
Students from Buxton College studying the outdoor pursuits course are covering an impact and sustainability unit together with the service section of their Duke of Edinburgh Award by adopting a crag.
Students have chosen crags that they regularly climb at to adopt and look after. This gives them a good excuse to go climbing both in and out of class and clear up any rubbish they come across at the same time. The crags that they will be keeping a watchful eye on include;
Birchen Edge
The roaches
Castle Naze
Stanage
Laurence Field
Higger Tor
Gardoms Edge
You can help us with this project by reporting any rubbish etc to our facebook page; Buxton College Outdoor/Adventure
Cheers Allan Shaw (course Co-ordinator Outdoor Sport)
 ericinbristol 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw:

Nice project, great stuff.
ashaw 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: thank you. One of my students has reminded me that i need to add Black rocks onto this list too
cheers
 martinph78 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw: As well as reporting rubbish, maybe pick it up and carry it out. We can all do our bit.

ashaw 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Martin1978: well yes of course, however if their is shed loads give us a shout and let us know so that we can try and figure out patterns of littering etc
many thanks
allan
 dutybooty 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw: Great project. Really think its brilliant. However, in the spirit of UKC, I have your pattern at Stanage for you.

More rubbish on the right, decreasing the further left you go.
ashaw 29 Apr 2013
In reply to dutybooty: sounds about right
 PLM 29 Apr 2013
In reply to dutybooty:
Never seen much litter at Cowper Stone
 Offwidth 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw:

Keep in mind the local BMC access team are worth informing on serious issues (new chipping etc). Might be worth getting them to attend a BMC area meeting, the next one is in the Roaches area not so far for Buxton (see the BMC community pages).
ashaw 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Offwidth: cheers I have emailed them but not heard anything
cheers
allan
 Al Evans 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw: A great responsible project if its properly managed.
 Offwidth 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw:

You need a local Peak area contact, not the BMC overall. The Peak area secretary will get stuff through. Email "Moff" through UKC or UKB.
 andi turner 29 Apr 2013
In reply to ashaw: Ramshaw could really do with a litter pick. Count me in if you wish to organise something.
ashaw 07 Jun 2013
In reply to andi turner: Students noted and cleaned up a lot of rubbish at Windgather and a small amount at the roaches
 OliBangbala 07 Jun 2013
In reply to ashaw: can someone adopt Hobson Moor Quarry please
 balmybaldwin 07 Jun 2013
In reply to ashaw:
> (In reply to ericinbristol) thank you. One of my students has reminded me that i need to add Black rocks onto this list too
> cheers

Poor bugger, whilst it definitely needs it, the amound of chavs up there leaving stuff could turn it into a full time job (not to mention a dangerous persuit when they start lobbing stuff about)
ashaw 25 Jun 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: students have been climbing at various locations including Helsby Cheshire, Tryfan Fach, Castle Naze, Windgather and the Roaches. Whilst there they have been noting rubbish left and removing it. Main problems were castle Naze and windgather which had countless cigarette ends and toilet paper together with the odd food wrappers that needed removing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...