UKC

Saas fee or Cham for virgin?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stoneback 04 May 2013
Hi,

Keen climber, winter walker, done a bit of Scottish winter too.

I'm thinking of booking an alpine intro course with adventure peaks out of Ambleside. I've done a winter skills course with them a while ago and was impressed but has anyone been Alpine with them? Had a good chat with one of their guides today and he seemed pretty sound.
I'm tempted by a course they run in Saas Fee, with six mountain days including attempts on Stralhorn, Allainhorn, Weissmeis and the Lagginhorn. Inc all instruction, guide expenses and hut costs plus valley accommodation and meals and breaky in the huts. £1400. Expensive but good value I thought.

Next question is -Is Saas Fee a good shout as opposed to Cham? Will it be a bit quieter? Can anyone compare SF and Cham?

Ta!
altirando 04 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: Four satisfying summits in Saas that will give you good basic experience of alpine snow climbing. And probably better weather. Perhaps one in Cham.
Graeme G 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback:

I did Saas Fee as an alpine virgin. Unguided quite simply the most amazing two weeks. Some really easy peaks, with others more challenging if you want them.

If the weather looks like it's crapping out you have easy access to routes allowing you to maximise your time.

Alex Croall 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: Have you looked at the Monte Rosa Range, I did a week long course having similar prior experience to what you have described - we ended up summiting seven 4000 metre peaks! It was an amazing week.
 Mountain Llama 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: Been to both locations several times and used SF for my alpine intro along with Arolla. If u want easier peaks and more of a classic alpine thing plus summer meadows then go for SF. If u want more multi-pitch rock stuff with easy access then go to cham.

I thought cham Wud b busier, normally go in Sept when things Hav calmed down.

HTH Davey
 LakesWinter 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: Saas every time, having spent a few weeks in each over a number of years. For easier routes there is much more choice and the best easier routes in Saas are better than the best sub AD routes in Chamonix, especially as the Midi-Plan is now rated AD+ and not PD any more.

I'd recommend the Weissmies traverse and the Hohlaubgrat on the Allalinhorn in Saas as classic PD routes.
 JLS 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback:

Saas Fee is the way go.

Packing those four hills into six days will be pretty tiring. I recon it will feel more like an endurance challenge than a holiday but if that's your thing... I'd prefer to spread them out a bit with more rest days and diversion activities over a two weeks holiday.

I think on these particular mountains, the Scottish experience you've out-lined with a bit of crevasse rescue practice and further bedtime reading would see you alright but fair enough if you don't want to feel you're winging it on the first try.
OP stoneback 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback:
Thanks to all for replying, I think switzerland is sounding like it might be worth a bit more research.

Any more tips welcome!

Ta
 David Rose 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: Cham is a terrible place for an Alpine beginner. Not much to do, and what there is will be heaving with people. Saas is briliiant. Every kind of climbing (the Weissmies and Laggingorn both involve plenty of rock). It's a no-brainer.
 Kimberley 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback:

Big advantage last year was the 'free' lifts, it actually cost 3.50 Chf a day.

They said they expected the same offer this summer.....

Quieter with good peaks
 Robert Durran 05 May 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:
> (In reply to stoneback) Cham is a terrible place for an Alpine beginner..... It's a no-brainer.

Absolutely right.

OP stoneback 05 May 2013
In reply to stoneback:
Thanks again responders, seems to be a pattern emerging here.

auld al 06 May 2013
In reply to stoneback:
> (In reply to stoneback)
> Thanks to all for replying, I think switzerland is sounding like it might be worth a bit more research.
>
> Any more tips welcome!
>
> Ta

check out Martin Moran's courses in the Swiss alps as well

http://www.moran-mountain.co.uk/moran-mountaineering/alpine.html
 ralphio 06 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: sorry to hijack the thread but.... Also planning out first alpine trip this summer and have settled on Sass Fee. What's the deal with the lifts? I see a few people mention that they're free if staying in the valley? Does this online camping as well?
 ralphio 06 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: sorry, just seen the earlier thread about this exact subject
 Happy Haggis 06 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: Saas over Cham. Arolla is also a great venue for a first timer. Classic routes incl Mt Blanc de Cheilon and the Aig de la Tsa.
 Blinder 06 May 2013
In reply to stoneback: did my alpine apprenticeship in Cham because as a beginner that is what you did. But now got a house in Saas, would recommend Saas ( obviously biased). It is hardly alpine solitude but a lot better than Cham. The gig with the free lifts is great ( unless you own a house outside of the area).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...