UKC

Places to find an expedition team/join an expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 14 May 2013
Expeds are big committing things aren't they, and I'd rather go on one with the alpine partners I've climbed with for years. But most (all?) of them seem to be busy these days and if you've got psyche what can you do..?

I've been thinking of joining the Climbers Club or maybe Alpine Club in an effort to meet more people who are currently more actively adventuring. Is that a good idea? What are people's experiences here with respect to finding team members / joining an expedition?
 Craigyboy13 14 May 2013
In reply to Stone Muppet: try this website. I went on an expedition with a good bunch on people from there.

Www.explorersconnect.co.uk
 GridNorth 14 May 2013
In reply to Stone Muppet: You need to define what you mean by expedition. Some people seem to call any trip abroad an expedition whilst I have always thought of it as a trip to a remote area like the Himalaya. The CC is mainly a trad rock climbing club although they do organise trips to remote and alpine areas. The Alpine Club may be more like what you are looking for.

Unfortunately for you it is not possible to just join either, you have to be proposed, seconded and get supporting letters. With the CC you need to be a competent VS leader. For the Alpine Club you have to have already climbed at least 20 alpine routes although you can be an "aspirant" and, I believe, get the same benefits.

The alternatives are to arrange your own, get invited or pay for a commercial trip.
 Tom Briggs 14 May 2013
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Dave Wynne-Jones is organising a joint CC/AC meet to Caucasus Bezengi this July. Not sure if you would be expected to turn up with your own climbing partner?
OP Stone Muppet 14 May 2013
Cheers, helpful responses. I'm considering joining the CC anyway, well aware of requirements.

No I don't think of a trip to Spain as an expedition (unless it was exploratory caving or something!) Been looking into Peru and Tajikistan lately.
almost sane 14 May 2013

You could broaden your circle of climbing partners. then see if any of them are interested in an expedition.

Or you could ask here in the lifts and partners section for a partner.

Or you could go on a commercial expedition. Tom from Jagged Globe often pops up here (he has replied to the thread already) and I'm sure JG would be happy to have a conversation with you about options. There are other companies, too. If exploratory expeditions are your thing, then JG go to Ladakh, and you can also look at ISM (Tien Shan), Martin Moran (Himalayas) or John Briggs (Andes).

Of course, not all expeditions need take a long time.
You could go to the polar regions for a week or a fortnight. There are scheduled flights to Svalbard and to Greenland, and the altitude is not a problem. You might take most of your available time getting to and from the start of the route, but that is all part of the expedition thing.
almost sane 14 May 2013
btw I am heading out to the Himalayas this summer, doing some exploratory stuff with a couple of folks I met on UKC...
OP Stone Muppet 14 May 2013
To be fair I have had nothing but good climbing experiences with people I met on lifts and partners here. But exploration is a bit different to going out cragging! Commercial things seem very expensive, I'd rather broaden my circle of partners specifically looking for people with similar ambitions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...