UKC

Skiing/Boarding the Midi North Face?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 May 2013
 Frank4short 28 May 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: Frendo saw it's first descent in over a decade about 2 or maybe 3 weeks ago. Guys that skied it found it to be quite doable and in perfect condition so it's now become something to do from what I've heard. Though on top of that the Mallory/Eugster have now become trade extreme descents and will generally get skied anytime they come remotely close to being in condition. In saying that from what I'm seeing here and on various other social media outlets, at the moment and for the last while by the sounds of it conditions for steep skiing are excellent and there's a lot of shit getting done.
 HeMa 28 May 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

http://andreasfransson.se/

Check out Blog and May 4th entry.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 May 2013
In reply to both:

Cheers for that. Judging by the number of tracks the descents are getting hammered - must be mint conditions. Gives me the cold sweats just thinging about it!

Chris
 Ben Briggs 29 May 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: the North face is in excellent condition now, I was in the group that opened the Frendo a month back and also skied it on Monday. It wasn't the first for a decade, it got skied a couple of years ago. Ross got some great pics from Monday, the conditions were all time, check them out- http://rosshewittblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/the-frendo-spur/

I also opened the Mallory solo on Sunday, making an integral descent with no rappels. I think the first since 1999. Will be updating my blog soon www.Ben-Briggs.com
 Frank4short 29 May 2013
In reply to Ben Briggs:

> I also opened the Mallory solo on Sunday, making an integral descent with no rappels. I think the first since 1999. Will be updating my blog soon www.Ben-Briggs.com

Genuinely curious here how did you get passed the abseil on the mallory? As in all the time I spend in cham i never heard of anyone skiing that section.
 Ben Briggs 29 May 2013
In reply to Frank4short: i skied down a snow ramp and crossed a snowed up rock slab to join a gully on the skiers right of the rap station. then i traversed back skiers left over very rocky icy terrain to join the ramp into the exit couloir. It was mostly side stepping.
 Ben Briggs 29 May 2013
In reply to Frank4short: now I have done it i won't be doing it again! It's pretty high risk and probably over 60 degrees.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...