UKC

jetboil gas options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dean hepworth 28 May 2013
Going to be flying to chamonix soon and I want to take my jetboil . My problem is I don't know weather I will be able to pick up jet boil gas canisters . I know that camping gaz is available but I don't know if it will be compatible with the jet boil . Anyone else tried that . Or know what adaptor I will need . Cheers
 JoshOvki 28 May 2013
In reply to Dean hepworth:

There are loads of shops you can get Gas from in Cham, you won't have a problem picking any up, just make sure it is the screw type.
 Neil Williams 28 May 2013

There are 4 types of common gas cylinder:-

1. Pierceable ones, all the same in terms of fitting, whether Gaz or otherwise. Won't fit a Jetboil straight off, though depending on the shape of the Jetboil you might be able to purchase an adapter. Becoming less common as they're quite dangerous if misused.

2. Screw-fit type, fit almost anything except Gaz - these are what you need. Don't know about availability abroad but as they're so common I would think they would be.

3. Gaz push-fit type, only fit Gaz, no use to you.

4. Blowtorch push-fit type, fit those cheap, larger stoves that look like a quarter of a normal kitchen gas hob, again no use to you.

Neil
Dean hepworth 28 May 2013
In reply to Dean hepworth: cheers, should be alright then
 wilkesley 29 May 2013

Prepare for some stress on your wallet. Screw type gas canisters are expensive in Cham.
 gear boy 29 May 2013
In reply to wilkesley: you can get screw type canisters in hardware stores as modern blowtorches use theses, usually narrow in diameter so wobbly cooking on but they work and are cheaper than camping shops,
 gear boy 29 May 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: adapter http://www.hitchnhike.co.uk/acatalog/edelrid_c206_puncture_cartridge_adapte...

but yes pierce cartridges can be dodgy, more likely to freeze your hands of than exploding, unless you are smoking a fag while doing it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...