UKC

Buying first Double Ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gabe Oliver 28 May 2013
Hey,

So im thinking of buying myself a set of half/double/twin ropes (not sure which one really)

Been borrowing a friends recently and feel they're definitely the way forward for trad in the UK.

What rope sets do you guys recommend?

Cheers
 tspoon1981 28 May 2013
In reply to Gabe Oliver: You can get the tendon ambition 8.5 twin pack for £160 if your price match with Mountain Leisure Perth.
OP Gabe Oliver 28 May 2013
In reply to tspoon1981:

they any good though? I know i can decent deals on the net but dont know where to start try to figure out whether to buy DMM, Beal, Tendon etc etc
 CurlyStevo 28 May 2013
In reply to Gabe Oliver:
first you need to decide what length, width and dry treatment you may require.
 AlanLittle 28 May 2013
In reply to Gabe Oliver:
>
> So im thinking of buying myself a set of half/double/twin ropes (not sure which one really)
>

Half and twin ropes are different things. Twin ropes are intended to always be used together. They can be very thin indeed - thinnest are currently the Edelrid Flycatcher at 6.9mm - and are not intended to be clipped separately. They are useful in the Alps for routes with long abseil descents but are hardly ever used for UK trad climbing.

What you almost certainly want are half ropes that are intended to be clipped separately. (Some half ropes are also rated for use as twins, but that's of no interest to you if you're focused on UK trad)
 RichardP 28 May 2013
In reply to Gabe Oliver:
I have just bought a pair of Edelwiess Oxegen 2 (8.2mm dry treated ropes)
I will be using them winter and summer and expect to getseveral years use out of them, I tend to retire ropes due to age rather than from damage.

How much experience do you have in the way of rope care?

there are so many things to consider.

do you need dry rope?

Jonny2vests 28 May 2013
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

Keen on the Grit? Get 60s. Then you can fold one in half and use it as a pair and save lots of wear and tear. And you have more options for running pitches together and will have the best length for lots of places like the Verdon or the Dolomites.

Ignore any old farts (well, older than me anyway that tell you 50s are fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...