UKC

Conville Course: Ice Axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aldo56 29 May 2013
Looking for some advice from those that have been on the Conville course previously in regard to ice axes. The kit list is calling for a classical alpine style ice axe; i've got a pair of BD Vipers and nothing else.

Will these do the job? I've never come across anything they wont do in Scotland yet!
 alexm198 29 May 2013
In reply to aldo56: I'm planning on taking a pair of Aztars which fall slightly short of the 'minimum 50cm' specified by PyB but like you say, they've been fine for Scotland. I'm sure vipers will be fine!
 mattrm 29 May 2013
In reply to aldo56:

I took a Petzl Quark (new model) on my Conville course. Guides didn't mind a bit. They were vaguely interested in it as it was brand new out then, but apart from a comment along the lines of 'you'll struggle to build an ice axe belay with that' no one minded.

You can btw and it works ok, just not as easy.
 Brev 29 May 2013
In reply to aldo56:

During the course you won't really use your axes for climbing apart from maybe some very short & easy bits. What you will use your axe for is mostly walking, setting up ice-axe belays, and possibly cutting steps. Although you can use a technical axe for all those things, an alpine axe is a bit more suitable/comfortable. I took my technical axes and borrowed an alpine axe, and ended up only using the latter.
 GridNorth 29 May 2013
In reply to aldo56: Cutting steps and plunging the shaft with a curved technical axe can feel awkward. It can be done but a slightly longer straight shafted axe is much better.
OP aldo56 29 May 2013
In reply to aldo56: Cheers guys. I've not really got the wonga to be splashing out an an alpine axe; Vipers it is!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...