UKC

No climbing at the Oympics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 29 May 2013
I daresay some people will be happy to hear that climbing is not in the shorlist for the 2020 Olympics - Squash, Wrestling and Baseball (FFS) have made the cut. Personally I'm quite sad
 toad 29 May 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: no tears shed by me- it's been a terrible distraction
 Derry 29 May 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Although not a fan of climbing being in the olympics, I'm surprised at baseball being included when you think of the few nations that acutally play the sport competitively. Any US people on the olympic board per chance?
 toad 29 May 2013
In reply to Derry:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
I'm surprised at baseball being included when you think of the few nations that acutally play the sport competitively. Any US people on the olympic board per chance?

lts of people play rounders! Mind you, the same could have been said of beach volleyball or BMX racing. If nothing else, the olympics raises a sports profile

MG 29 May 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: Thank goodness! Surely it's going to be squash this time??
In reply to Derry:
Baseball makes no sense - as a team sport it adds a disproportionate number of athletes, it doesn't have any appeal in 90% of countries and will always be overshadowed by the professional game in the US. Oh, and it's boring and the US will win.

Squash is the obvious choice, must be the favourite, but not great for viewers
 HarmM 29 May 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: it will get in eventually but not right now as it's not in the public domain as much as the other sports. i reckon give it 5 years get more people into climbing raise its profile of a way of trying to get outside and keep fit. but we also need to remove thi stigma of climbing is really exteme and dangerous sport that gets blasted around the media (i know climbing has an element of risk but not as much as people are lead to belive) and we should see it on the line up.
Removed User 29 May 2013
In reply to HarmM:

Your post epitomises everything that climbing isn't about.
 Andy Long 29 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserMax Harms)
>
> Your post epitomises everything that climbing isn't about.

I couldn't agree more.

barbeg 29 May 2013
In reply to Andy Long:

...and this is why the last thing we want is climbing in the olympics...
ANdy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...