UKC

Crimping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RyanCTJ 31 May 2013
I've recently rediscovered a love of climbing having not done it since my teenage days (now 32), so I'm very much a beginner again. I remember back then being shown a technique where you lock your thumb over your index finger to increase grip on a hold.

I was watching a video on YouTube where an instructor called this crimping and advised beginners against it as it can damage finger tendons. Is this right?
woody0606 31 May 2013
In reply to RyanCTJ: It certainly shouldn't be your go to grip for small holds, but depending on how quickly you progress, you may find it a necessity quite soon. Just listen to your fingers and go easy/rest if they feel delicate or achey. Crimping is very useful, but it's easy to get in the habit of using it when hanging or half crimping would work as well. So only use it if it's the only grip that will work.
 Cake 01 Jun 2013
In reply to woody0606:
I've been climbing for ten years and I never use a full crimp like that. I think instead, you need to try to relax your hand as much as you can where possible. Being 'open-handed' is generally better advised if possible.

Cake
 Jon Stewart 01 Jun 2013
In reply to RyanCTJ:

I haven't used that kind of hardcore crimp for years, and then only on the grimmest of indoor boulder problems (which usually gave me tweaky tendon pains).

The term 'crimp' is more generally used for the usual style of grip on any small sharp hold (or used for the holds themselves) without the use of the thumb to brace it.

I think I'd steer clear of using that grip as a matter of course for the reason you mention.
Zen 03 Jun 2013
In reply to RyanCTJ:

A crimp is any hand position that warrants a steep angle (45' or less) on the uppermost of the two finger joints while the first stays shallow and almost straight. This refers to the position of the fingers but the type of crimp comes from how the thumb is used in conjunction with this very powerful position:

- Full crimp: Thumb extended over the top of the hold alongside the fingers, or 'rolled' over the top of the index finger as you mentioned. Basically, a full crimp is any crimp that warrants direct pulling help from the thumb and puts the hand into a closed position (creates an 'o' shape between your thumb and forefinger).

- Half crimp: Fingers fully crimped while the thumb stays to the side of the hold and offers only marginal help (creates a sharp 'c' shape between your thumb and forefinger).

- Open crimp: Very similar to the half crimp but the thumb plays no part in any pulling action and remains in the air without touching the wall.

Which of these three you use depends on the situation, but notice that you still have option to use any or all of them without having to roll your thumb over your index finger and potentially cause yourself an injury, especially while you're working your way back into the sport. I very rarely use a full crimp with a rolled thumb, it's saved for moves that require a lot of power and I tend to use it sparingly. I've occasionally popped my thumb a little over the top of the hold AND the index finger if the ledge is just big enough to warrant it, the extra power this affords is worth it if used once-in-a-while.

As for the rest, I use a combination of all three styles, usually without consciously deciding and just going with what feels best at the time; although you might find you can eeck out a little more strength by varying your grip if you're struggling on a particular hold.

In any case, I hope your return to climbing goes well and injury-free, and that you master this grip without too much fuss!
OP RyanCTJ 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Zen: Many thanks for all the responses, I wasn't aware of all the different varieties of crimping. I'll make a conscious effort not to slip into old habits when I climb. Can't get enough of it at the moment, living in South Wales I can't wait to get back outside down Gower and Pembrokeshire. Fond memories!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...