UKC

Need a new helmet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nniff 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:

Arse. I've just spent a fortune on a new lid that is more holes than helmet. Looks like a good deal - how many dealers will participate I wonder?
OP andy 10 Jun 2013
In reply to nniff: The Spesh website has a search facility to see which dealers are in.
 Enty 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:

Shit! Just polished mine this morning.

E
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Shit! Just polished mine this morning.

(Not too vigorously I hope).

Too much information.
 gethin_allen 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
That's rather irritating, I've just bought a nice new kask helmet but had been looking at the spesh range previously.
 Pids 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
Cool, gonna try buy one tomorrow, wife's birthday present could be sorted!
In reply to andy: Got my S3 today! I felt like a right moron in my Petzl Meteor III... Traded in an old helmet i had as a kid.
 Kimono 17 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
what sort of wannabe would pay 60 quid for a helmet....let alone £160?!

My 10 pound helmet from Lidl seems to do the job adequately and doesnt look any better or worse imo.

Am i missing something?
andy guppy 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
Definately.......image is everything :]
In reply to kieran b: weak wannabes like me who think it'll make them go faster because the pros wear them. Like all the fatties you see on carbon fibre pinarellos.
OP andy 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
> what sort of wannabe would pay 60 quid for a helmet....let alone £160?!
>

you're absolutely right - scandalous.

That's why I've got four helmets of varying degrees of eye-wateringly expensiveness dangling under my stairs...
 Timmd 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> My 10 pound helmet from Lidl seems to do the job adequately and doesnt look any better or worse imo.
>
> Am i missing something?

Some MTB helmets offer better protection around the back of the head than standard road helmets, and some road helmets have loads of vents so you keep a cool head, and some helmets exceed the safety requirements, rather than just meeting them.

Not in all cases, but in some spending more gets you more from your helmet.
KevinD 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:

someone who doesnt like overheating perhaps?
Or at least not over heating as much.

Phil79 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Am i missing something?

Yes you are. Ok £160 is silly money, but a £60-70 helmet compared to a £10 helmet will be much lighter and more comfortable.
 Kimono 18 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
> [...]
>
> someone who doesnt like overheating perhaps?
> Or at least not over heating as much.

Overheating in this country is not a problem i have yet to suffer

Kimono 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Phil79:
> (In reply to kieran b)
> [...]
>
> Yes you are. Ok £160 is silly money, but a £60-70 helmet compared to a £10 helmet will be much lighter and more comfortable.

My £10 helmet is plenty comfortable and i cant see that another 10 or 20 grams is really gonna make a lot of difference either.
Dont get me wrong, i have a carbon mountain bike myself but that is well worth the money when i go racing past everyone else on the uphills!
But a lighter helmet? Hmm
 Phil79 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:

Fair enough - if your happy with it then £10 is a steal!

From my own experience having recently noticed a number of cracks in my 10 yr old helmet, I replaced it with a new Spec helmet and the difference is very noticeable, both in terms of weight and comfort on long rides.
 Chris the Tall 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> [...]
>
> Overheating in this country is not a problem i have yet to suffer

Seriously - any moderately steep hill in summer and I'll have sweat dripping into my eyes in no time. Splashed out £80 on a Giro helmet a few years back and it's so much better than the £30 Decathlon one I use to use - ligter, better ventilation, better fit etc etc. I frequently have to check I wearing it !

Kimono 18 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
What, summer as in this?? Oh how I long for the sensation of sweat dropping into eyes
OP andy 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
> What, summer as in this?? Oh how I long for the sensation of sweat dropping into eyes

You're not trying hard enough.
KevinD 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:

> Overheating in this country is not a problem i have yet to suffer

depends on the person. I sob quietly to myself knowing i will never be a boulderer since within 5 seconds of sticking a beanie on I melt unless it is seriously cold.
 Kimono 18 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:
having mountain biked in the Caribbean in full sun, North Wales has little left to fear in the heat department....its all relative

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...