/ Need a new helmet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andy - on 09 Jun 2013
nniff - on 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:

Arse. I've just spent a fortune on a new lid that is more holes than helmet. Looks like a good deal - how many dealers will participate I wonder?
andy - on 10 Jun 2013
In reply to nniff: The Spesh website has a search facility to see which dealers are in.
Enty - on 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:

Shit! Just polished mine this morning.

E
Lord of Starkness - on 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Shit! Just polished mine this morning.

(Not too vigorously I hope).

Too much information.
gethin_allen on 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
That's rather irritating, I've just bought a nice new kask helmet but had been looking at the spesh range previously.
Pids - on 10 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
Cool, gonna try buy one tomorrow, wife's birthday present could be sorted!
Double Knee Bar - on 17 Jun 2013
In reply to andy: Got my S3 today! I felt like a right moron in my Petzl Meteor III... Traded in an old helmet i had as a kid.
Kimono - on 17 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
what sort of wannabe would pay 60 quid for a helmet....let alone 160?!

My 10 pound helmet from Lidl seems to do the job adequately and doesnt look any better or worse imo.

Am i missing something?
andy guppy - on 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
Definately.......image is everything :]
Double Knee Bar - on 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b: weak wannabes like me who think it'll make them go faster because the pros wear them. Like all the fatties you see on carbon fibre pinarellos.
andy - on 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
> what sort of wannabe would pay 60 quid for a helmet....let alone 160?!
>

you're absolutely right - scandalous.

That's why I've got four helmets of varying degrees of eye-wateringly expensiveness dangling under my stairs...
Timmd on 17 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> My 10 pound helmet from Lidl seems to do the job adequately and doesnt look any better or worse imo.
>
> Am i missing something?

Some MTB helmets offer better protection around the back of the head than standard road helmets, and some road helmets have loads of vents so you keep a cool head, and some helmets exceed the safety requirements, rather than just meeting them.

Not in all cases, but in some spending more gets you more from your helmet.
dissonance - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:

someone who doesnt like overheating perhaps?
Or at least not over heating as much.

Phil79 - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Am i missing something?

Yes you are. Ok 160 is silly money, but a 60-70 helmet compared to a 10 helmet will be much lighter and more comfortable.
Kimono - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
> [...]
>
> someone who doesnt like overheating perhaps?
> Or at least not over heating as much.

Overheating in this country is not a problem i have yet to suffer :)

Kimono - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Phil79:
> (In reply to kieran b)
> [...]
>
> Yes you are. Ok 160 is silly money, but a 60-70 helmet compared to a 10 helmet will be much lighter and more comfortable.

My 10 helmet is plenty comfortable and i cant see that another 10 or 20 grams is really gonna make a lot of difference either.
Dont get me wrong, i have a carbon mountain bike myself but that is well worth the money when i go racing past everyone else on the uphills!
But a lighter helmet? Hmm
Phil79 - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:

Fair enough - if your happy with it then 10 is a steal!

From my own experience having recently noticed a number of cracks in my 10 yr old helmet, I replaced it with a new Spec helmet and the difference is very noticeable, both in terms of weight and comfort on long rides.
Chris the Tall - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> [...]
>
> Overheating in this country is not a problem i have yet to suffer :)

Seriously - any moderately steep hill in summer and I'll have sweat dripping into my eyes in no time. Splashed out 80 on a Giro helmet a few years back and it's so much better than the 30 Decathlon one I use to use - ligter, better ventilation, better fit etc etc. I frequently have to check I wearing it !

Kimono - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to andy:
What, summer as in this?? Oh how I long for the sensation of sweat dropping into eyes :)
andy - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to andy)
> What, summer as in this?? Oh how I long for the sensation of sweat dropping into eyes :)

You're not trying hard enough. ;-)
dissonance - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to kieran b:

> Overheating in this country is not a problem i have yet to suffer :)

depends on the person. I sob quietly to myself knowing i will never be a boulderer since within 5 seconds of sticking a beanie on I melt unless it is seriously cold.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Kimono - on 18 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:
having mountain biked in the Caribbean in full sun, North Wales has little left to fear in the heat department....its all relative :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.