UKC

quantity of fuel needed in a primus stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
j Barbier 25 Aug 2003
I just bought an omnifuel primus stove and I'm planing to go treking dor 2 weeks with no possibility of getting fuel on the way;
Does anyone has experience of how much petrol is needed per day and per person (for 3 meals).

Thanks
 Damo 25 Aug 2003
In reply to j Barbier:

If this is the same as the 'Himalaya Multifuel' then it's a good stove. I have one and prefer it to my XGKs.

If melting snow, I go on 300ml per person per day, in cold regions, but that is really only two meals. If you are just trekking, no snow melting, but boiling litres of water and cooking three meals in moderate temps, you should still get by on around 150ml pppd.

Really a lot depends on cooking technique and choice of food etc. I think Kirkpatrick did a piece on efficient cooking in a High not so long back. Best to do a short trial run at home, cook the things you will take, measure how much fuel you use.

D
 Doug 25 Aug 2003
In reply to Damo:
For a long canadian trip we worked on a quarter litre per person per day. That was coleman fuel rather than parrafin, melting snow all the time and mostly very quick cooking meals.

Seemed about right.
 sutty 25 Aug 2003
In reply to Doug:

We used to fill a 1 pint Primus stove with paraffin and it just did a weekend for two camping, This was not including big long cook meals.
A half pint needed a bit extra for a weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...