UKC

damaged wires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kyle87 11 Jun 2013
Invested in a set of offsets a couple of weeks ago. I think an over zealous 2nd broke 2 or 3 of the small wire strands; two strands in one cluster, one in another - doesn't look dangerous and I don't really want to replace it unnecessarily.

Anyone have experience/advice on the matter? Or link me to another thread?

Cheers,

Kyle
woody0606 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Kyle87: Unfortunate... Wasn't me was it??
 jkarran 11 Jun 2013
In reply to woody0606:

Offsets are a little prone to kinking and snapping strands, at least my old HB ones are when removed by yanking. Nutkey is pretty much essential.

As for the broken wires, it's not ideal obviously and you have to choose how much risk you're willing to take. Personally I still use and trust mine (various nuts) with a few broken strands, it's a fact of life with well used old gear. Thinner wires (micros mostly) would go in the bin if I broke strands.

One thing to watch for is getting the broken bits stuck in your fingers, lips or tongue. Not a lot of fun!

jk
 Timmd 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Kyle87:

I suppose you could try and work out the number of wires, then divide the strength rating by the number of wires and calculate the new strength?
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Kyle87:
Are these brass offsets or alloy?
Any nuts with the wires soldered directly into the nut are easily damaged by yanking in attempts to clean. As said above, get your seconds to us a nut key.
The main problem you'll face with the odd broken strand will be catching the sharp ends on everything.
 getandy 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Kyle87: personally I would replace the ones that are damaged but I am a bit of a gear tart :P if you contact the company that make them you may find they will replace them free of charge other than postage climbing hardwear companies are pretty good especially if you explain you only bought them a few weeks ago
 The Lemming 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Kyle87:

Just ask yourself three questions

1- How much does the wire cost to replace

2- How much is my life worth

3- How much would the damaged wire niggle your game-head when you are above it and wobbling?
 jim jones 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Kyle87:
You have to ask the question how many are broken within the core? Aviation industry assumes one visible broken strand in any control cable = change cable is a mandatory requirement.

http://www.mechanicsupport.com/aircraft_Control_cable_wear.html

http://www.aviationtoday.com/regions/usa/Aircraft-Flight-Control-Cable-Syst...
OP Kyle87 16 Jun 2013
Thanks for the advice guys.

Alex: I doubt it was you mate - probably a more nervous partner, having a panic.

It's the no.8 DMM alloy offset. The break is bottom of the crab loop so yes prone to catching. And like you say Lemming it will play on my mind at the most inopportune moment...

I am convinced, you're all right; I will stop being so cheap/lazy and get it replaced.

Thanks again everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...