UKC

Snowpatches everywhere!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 14 Jun 2013
Ansolutely mental; one week before midsummer and pretty much every hill over 1,000m (and a few that aren't) have remnant snow on them. Can anyone else recall such a year? I can't...
 geordiepie 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Walked up the Cheviot (815m) on Sunday and there was still significant snow patches in the henhole and bizzle burn...lowest was probably at 700m but assume that'll be gone now

ccmm 14 Jun 2013
In reply to geordiepie: Auchnafree hill had a wee patch on it in a re-entrant at about 700m yesterday.
 Joe G 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B: A good year for midsummer skiing then
 AdCo82 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

The Snowdon range and Carneddau still had some snow patches only the other week also!
Don'tTellHim Pike 14 Jun 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Jamie B)
>
> The Snowdon range and Carneddau still had some snow patches only the other week also!
I was on Foel Fras last weekend and saw what I thought was snow. Turned out to be a bloody great lump of quartz.
 Tim Sparrow 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Bits below Central Gully on the Ladders last w/e.
In reply to Jamie B: Can there be years were snow remains throughout the year, perhaps in some sheltered scottish gullies or does the two weeks of heat in august alway melt the last remnants?
 Mike-W-99 16 Jun 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
Usually Braeriach hangs on. Aonach Beag too surprisingly.
 Mehmet Karatay 16 Jun 2013

I'm fairly sure that it's rare for Scotland to ever have a snow-free year. If memory serves, it made the news in September 2006 that Scotland was snow free for the first time in years. It started snowing again within a month.

Mehmet
 AlH 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: I believe that the Garbh Coire patch is the most reliable, followed by the Observatory Gully patch. The Aonach Beag patch is often a good bet too though.
OP Jamie B 16 Jun 2013
In reply to AlH:

Seem to recall Martin Moran lists about 6-8 spots (including those named above) where snowpatches survive the summer more often than not. Suspect there'll be a few more this year!
 rif 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
there's a near-permanent thread on snow patches here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/list.php?2
 dgp 16 Jun 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Still a small patch on the Carneddau today !
 andrew ogilvie 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Several patches visible on the carn mairg group (glen lyon) from Schiehallion yesterday too.
 chris_s 23 Jun 2013

> the two weeks of heat in august

If only!

Fat Bumbly2 23 Jun 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: My first few summers on the hill were very rich in snow patches - 1980 onwards. I have always felt it a rather modern trend for them to go so early. This year is exceptional though, snow stayed around on the Lammermuirs into May.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...