UKC

Instructors insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 14 Jun 2013
Can someone give me some advice on insurance that I could take out to cover me for instructional purposes. I am going to help a company marshal a route that about 200 or so will walk and they require me to have insurance. Thanks.
OP Phil1919 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Phil1919: I've just checked, they want me to have 'public liability insurance'.
 Banned User 77 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Phil1919: Do you have your ML? If so go through the MLTA

Perkins Slade is another one.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Clint86) Do you have your ML? If so go through the MLTA
>
> Perkins Slade is another one.

The MTA insurance IS perkins slade, as is the BMC. The former is £169; the latter £345 but covers you for more things if you are qualified for them. Both assume that you have been instructing for 12 months among other assumptions so make sure you read the small print.

I went with the BMC one as the MTA insurance didn't cover me for Gorge Walking and other things that make the MTA one cheaper.

Hope this helps
OP Phil1919 14 Jun 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Yep, thanks.
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Cheers, never knew it didn't cover gorge walking.. never did any but would have been good to know.. thanks for that.
In reply to higherclimbingwales: What about coasteering. i was amazed to be signed off to lead groups with one center.. I didn't as I didn't feel comfortable, but I can't see how the ML is suitable for a largely water based activity. I still think the ML should go modular with bolt on modules for such things as gorge walking, coasteering; as outdoor activities are diversifying. Even mountain biking could be added - I know there are MB leader courses.
In reply to IainRUK: Not sure about Coasteering but I've been signed off by a centre to lead Sea-level traversing with my SPA and White Water Safety and Rescue cert and having assisted on a few sessions in the place I'd be working.
 martinph78 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Phil1919: I would get back in-touch with the company that you are marshalling for and check that you aren't already covered on their insurance. If you are employed by them you should be. If you are a volunteer you shouldn't need it.

Not sure why you think that you would need to go to the expense of instructor insurance for marshalling a walk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...