UKC

adventure watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matrix 19 Jun 2013
can anyone recommend a value for money adventure watch ? I am new to climbing so don t need lot of feature , maybe compass altitude , under £100..
 GrahamD 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Matrix:

I use the cheapest Casio watch I can get thats reasonably waterproof (so it doesn't matter when it inevitably gets scratched / left in pub / strap breaks), and have a compass seperately. I think the concept of an 'adventure watch' is a marketing man's wet dream, personally.
 martinph78 20 Jun 2013
In reply to GrahamD: Casio G-shock are bombproof (to used an overused term). Sure they do one with the functions you would like.

Keep in mind battery life is reduced with these features though.

jkarran 20 Jun 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

+1 £15 Casio digital for running and climbing and generally doing anything where it's likely to get lost or ruined. Mechanical Seiko 5 for day to day use because it's a lovely machine, robust and affordable should it happen to get lost or broken.

I can see the point in wearable GPS and altimeter I suppose for walking/running/cycling but less so for climbing but personally I'd still go with something reliable and cheap. On the other hand if that's what you want then why not, I hope someone has a godd suggestion
jk
 Monkey_Alan 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Matrix:
Keep an eye on Lidl's website, and get a £20 altimeter/compass watch next time they have them.
Richard88 20 Jun 2013
 EeeByGum 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Matrix: I don't recommend climbing in a watch. It will get scratched to burgery and may even get your hand stuck in a crack. If you need to use a compass in anger, I wouldn't rely on a watch for an accurate reading and altitude whilst climbing isn't that useful. You are either at the bottom of a route, on it or at the top.
 Cameron94 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Matrix: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Expedition-Yellow-Strap-Black/dp/B0027DKVJ8

Everything you asked for but it does attract some funny looks...
 nniff 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:
> (In reply to Matrix)
> Keep an eye on Lidl's website, and get a £20 altimeter/compass watch next time they have them.

IMHO and as a former owner of one I would advise against hat. I bought one on the basis that it was only £20. Turns out it would have been less iritating and timeconsuming to drop £20 in the bin, which is where the watch went.

Its major failing was a protruding reset button that reset everything. Unfortunately, this button was so positioned that it reset whenever I took a fleece off. Just about to go for a run - take fleece off - beep. Set alarm for the morning, take fleece off - beep. Walking up hill - take fleece off - beep.

Tried various bodges, gave up threw it away and bought a faultless Casio for £35 off the internet - half price sale.

Put it this way - it wasn't even worth keeping as a spare. Others had problems with them not working, filling up with water etc
 nniff 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:
> (In reply to Matrix)
> Keep an eye on Lidl's website, and get a £20 altimeter/compass watch next time they have them.

IMHO and as a former owner of one I would advise against hat. I bought one on the basis that it was only £20. Turns out it would have been less iritating and timeconsuming to drop £20 in the bin, which is where the watch went.

Its major failing was a protruding reset button that reset everything. Unfortunately, this button was so positioned that it reset whenever I took a fleece off. Just about to go for a run - take fleece off - beep. Set alarm for the morning, take fleece off - beep. Walking up hill - take fleece off - beep.

Tried various bodges, gave up threw it away and bought a faultless Casio for £35 off the internet - half price sale.

Put it this way - it wasn't even worth keeping as a spare. Others had problems with them not working, filling up with water etc
Matrix 22 Jun 2013
Thanks guys for all the info..and advixe..good point eebygum..watch may not be good thing to have on while climbing.
 GridNorth 22 Jun 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
> altitude whilst climbing isn't that useful. You are either at the bottom of a route, on it or at the top.

I take it you don't alpine climb then? An altimeter can be very handy then.
 ayuplass 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to Matrix) http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Expedition-Yellow-Strap-Black/dp/B0027DKVJ8
>
> Everything you asked for but it does attract some funny looks...

I have one of these ( in that colour, yes it does attract comments) and it does a very good job. I'd still use a proper compass though.
 Cameron94 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Matrix: Yeah I don't use it on the hill for the compass but it's roughly accurate maybe about 5* either way. The altimeter works pretty well when it's calibrated but I've forgotten how to do it and so I'm stuck with no altimeter atm.
 ayuplass 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to Matrix) Yeah I don't use it on the hill for the compass but it's roughly accurate maybe about 5* either way. The altimeter works pretty well when it's calibrated but I've forgotten how to do it and so I'm stuck with no altimeter atm.

I think it's fairly simple to do, there's a separate calibration function. Look for the manual online, if not let me know and I'll have a look at my manual
Removed User 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Matrix:

I use a Suunto Core Black. They rrp for over £150 but you can get them cheap on ebay sometimes. Compass, Barometer, Altimeter, depth meter for diving, and all the other toys you'd expect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...