UKC

Beinn Eighe to Liathach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Jun 2013
I'm trying to remember whether or not it's feasible to get from Ruadh Stac Mhor on Beinn Eighe to the first summit on Liathach, Stuc an Choire Duibh Bhig (who checked the bloody spelling in the ordnance survey) in a fairly direct manner?

The descent of Beinn Eighe is straightforward enough but I can't recall how much to-ing and fro-ing would be required to get up that end of Liathach.
 Mark Bull 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Hi Eric!

It's described in the SMC Highland Scrambles North guide: basically avoid the lowest wet rocks on the left, then gain the ridge with a couple of scrambly steps (Grade 1 or 2 depending on choice of line), then boulders to the top.

From RSM you can either descend into Coire Mhic Fhearchair and follow the path round (there is a reasonable descent mostly on grass from about 500m S of the summit, saves going all the way to the col), or else go over the ridge: there is a lot of vile scree on the south side and it may be worth worth ascending the first shoulder towards Spidean Coire nan Clach and dropping into Coire nan Clach, which avoids it all.
 skog 19 Jun 2013
I've scrambled up Stuc an Choire Duibh Bhig from the slopes East of it; it was quite a long time ago, but I can't remember much difficulty.

It's described in Butterfield's 'The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland" p218, but it's pretty obvious when you're there - basically, head up the Coire Dubh Mor path a wee bit (less than 1km), then head up the screes and heather and look for a faint path and a short scramble through the upper bit of sandstone, then a rough path through the quartzite blocks above.
 Gawyllie 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: i was up there in the winter, its quite steep but straightforward. head up the lower slope in a line almost directly to the east from the summit then cut more northwards between the large rock terraces until some scrambling to gain the crest
Removed User 19 Jun 2013

Thanks everyone, that's my wee holiday day out sorted then.

Cuthbert 20 Jun 2013

There is nothing wrong with the spelling on the map as far as I can see. Not doen the ridge though but looks excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...