Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Blister Nightmare

jdsowden - on 24 Jun 2013
Dear all

I'm a newbie to this forum but by no means a newbie to hiking and fell walking.

Last year I bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX. Over 100 quid, which is a fair outlay for me, being used to Berghaus fabric boots in the past (which have generally served me well).

Over the last 6 months I have done a number of longer hikes, and without fail after at the end of the walk, I end up with two large and painful blood blisters on the outer side of my heels, one on the ball of my foot and often on the little toes around the nail. I begin to feel the pressure and then then pain around 10 miles or so into the walk.

I have upgraded to 'blister free guaranteed' 1000-mile socks (dual layer), with a very slight improvement, but nothing significant. My boots are around 1/2 size larger than my normal foot size to account for swelling and feel very comfortable when I first put them on. Just done the Yorkshire Three Peaks this weekend, and once again was crippled by the end of the walk. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's just something I've got to live with - and am considering taping up my problem zones with duck tape before heading out as some people suggest!

Before I give up, or buy some new boots, any suggestions on things to try or things to look for in a new pair of boots?

Many thanks

John
... not showing 10 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums