UKC

Best alpine destination by campervan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sleeplessjb 28 Jun 2013
Hello again!

Thanks for all your help so far... On final quesstion.... I've managed to blag a campervan off a friend and was planning to go to Zermatt but figure that might not be the best call with wheels...

What do folk think? Where would be the best place be to go (drivin from uk) for easyish 4000m tops (wife's first trip - up to about PD) and some cragging and chillin...

Thanks for your thoughts!!
In reply to sleeplessjb:

Arolla? There was campervans in the campsite we stayed at and a friend drove from UK.
 Robert Durran 28 Jun 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb:

You have wheels. You can go anywhere! You can follow the weather!
OP sleeplessjb 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: ye ye that's why I got it... Just trying to make a top three and then follow the weather... What would you go for?
 Robert Durran 28 Jun 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) ye ye that's why I got it... Just trying to make a top three and then follow the weather... What would you go for?

Saas, The Bernina, Grindelwald (If you can afford the train to access the Jungfraujoch)

altirando 28 Jun 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb: Obvious best place for easy 4000s is Saas Fee. As to a campervan in Zermatt, I can only remember a tatty site next to the railway which of course you couldn't access anyway. With the late Spring I think I would head for the Ecrins, and being mobile, try out both sides as bases. As well as the north side, La Grave.
 Pyreneenemec 28 Jun 2013
In reply to altirando:
> (In reply to sleeplessjb). I can only remember a tatty site next to the railway which of course you couldn't access anyway..

There's a very pleasant site at Randa : http://www.restaurant-holeinone.ch/fr/acceuil/acceuil.html

Looks a bit posher than when I was last there ( 2000 ). Pleasant owner, I even got a free meal and beers to celebrate my solo climb of the Matterhorn- happy days !
 DANNYdjb 02 Jul 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb:
We use the aire de service camping car. You can get a guide. but cheap cheerful go anywhere.
Also use laybys and forest roads.. never had any problems and left the van there a few days.
Dan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...