UKC

trek warranty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Brento 01 Jul 2013
So the other day I cracked my frame, a 2001 trek. Knowing that trek have a lifetime warranty on their frames I wasn't too worried, and I was right about a week later the local bike shop was sent a new replacement frame great I thought even better they sent me the 2010 frame. However as they started to swap the components over it's becoming clear that that a lot of it won't fit and I'm looking at a couple of hundred pounds of new bits to buy, now the bike shop are saying that I'm still getting a new bike for next to nothing, but I was quite happy with my old bike, I gave up racing a long time ago and for what I do now I don't need anything more. I'm not sure what the solution is, I don't really expect trek to give me complete new bike but I don't want to be replacing perfectly good components simply because they don't fit. Any suggestions?
 metal arms 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Brento:

You could flog the new frame on a well known auction site and use the proceeds to buy an old frame that fit your components?
 krazykid009 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Brento:

From working in a rather large national bike chain, what we normally would do is either the components at trade price (what we pay for them) as opposed to full price, or free depending on the component. I am guessing it is headset and bottom bracket? Anything else? Those we would normally ask for from Trek themselves in warranty issues.

James
 LastBoyScout 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Brento:

Buy the new bits and sell the old bits on said well-known auction site?
Brento 01 Jul 2013
In reply to krazykid009:

Yup, headset and bottom bracket, but I've kinda accepted those, but already he's replaced the seatpost and is saying that the front mech might not fit, and strangely the wheels might not fit the dropouts?!
Brento 01 Jul 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

That'll probably happen but I can't imagine I'll get much for such old bits even if they are still in good condition
 Mikkel 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Brento:

When my Specialized XC FSR frame crasked, i send it in to Specialized.
They gave me a new frame, but because the model i had was no longer made they gave me a newer model which came with a 140mm fork over my old 100mm, so they just gave me a new fork too (plus i kept the old one) and when i mentioned that front mech was a directmonunt on new frame, they send me a new mec too.

Try tell that to Trek

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...