UKC

So few posts here on the hill walking site.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j0ntyg 02 Jul 2013
This UKC site has few posts compared to other UKC sites. There are many hill walkers. So is it fair to presume that hill walkers use sites other than UKC? If so, which sites?
OP j0ntyg 02 Jul 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: Should have been "forums" & not "sites"
 Banned User 77 02 Jul 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: Outdoorsmagic used to be fairly active.. but I also think 'walkers' are less OCD/addictive personalities than runners and climbers explaining the constant need to talk shite by them about the subject..
 Skol 02 Jul 2013
In reply to j0ntyg:
Hi,
Outdoors magic used to be quite popular, as did TGO, but no one seems to use TGO anymore.
There was one from Trail magazine, can't think what it was called and it was a bit cringy!
Depends where your main area of walking is? If its Scotland them the Munro magic, Munro madness sites are quite good.
Skol
 kinley2 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Skol:
> (In reply to j0ntyg)
> Hi,
> Outdoors magic used to be quite popular, as did TGO, but no one seems to use TGO anymore.
> There was one from Trail magazine, can't think what it was called and it was a bit cringy!
> Depends where your main area of walking is? If its Scotland them the Munro magic, Munro madness sites are quite good.
> Skol

Munro Magic has about one post per week.

Scottishhills.com is a bit more active.

There's another Scottish one....but it's terribly bland.
In reply to Skol: the trail one is livefortheoutdoors.com. I used to be a regular but i find i get better and a higher frequency onhere than lfto.
 Skol 02 Jul 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
Yeah. This one is a much better site especially if you like multi activities.
TGO was good before the magazine became Trail.
It used to have good articles on lightweight kit that was cheap to make such as coke can stoves. Though hillwalking is my main activity, I rarely look at it on here unless it has info for Munro / Corbett trips
Skol
 Skol 02 Jul 2013
In reply to kinley2:
Ta for that, will have a look.
Skol
andymac 02 Jul 2013
In reply to kinley2:

I think I know the forum you refer too.

I remember you
 fmck 02 Jul 2013
In reply to andymac:

Its a relentless business flogging the old horse when she s clearly had her day. Walkhighlands has surprisingly gone from strength to strength and is now very busy. Scottishhills is practically dead just look at the general banter etc it just gets slower and slower.
I suppose the bloke at WH has put a lot of effort in compared to the guy at SH who's only effort seems to be to lift his feet as the Hoover passes.
 Milesy 02 Jul 2013
I don't really need to talk much about hillwalking, but neither do I about running or cycling much and I do both. Usually its more the pub and off belay for chat, and climbing because ethics and technical stuff is always good for a discussion/argument/troll/flame (delete as nessessary). There isnt really much you can talk or argue about walking if you ask except the odd random post like the bird who left prayer flags on the summit.
andymac 02 Jul 2013
In reply to fmck:

I call in on WH from time to time.

agree that it has picked up a bit.
 Skol 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Milesy:
That was rude of her wasn't it! Hope that they're gone!
If you need to say a prayer, then do it quietly.
If you want to celebrate, then take your litter.
There a place for prayer flags and its the Himalayas!
 Milesy 02 Jul 2013
WH trip reports are too busy now so I have stopped reading them.

Not uncommon to see 45 Beinn Ime trip reports for any weekend. Too much.
altirando 02 Jul 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: The Walking forum has a wide variety of coverage, not just rambling.
PopShot 02 Jul 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: I used to be a regular on the Trail magazine forum lfto but it got too slow, too quiet. Same as most of the hillwalking related forums. I don't know why that is, I mean hillwalking is massively popular in Britain.

In reply to PopShot:
> I don't know why that is, I mean hillwalking is massively popular in Britain.

I guess it's because most hill walking isn't difficult or dangerous enough to be worth discussing on a forum.
 malky_c 03 Jul 2013
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh: You're probably right, but it isn't as if much climbing gets discussed here (in proportion to the other stuff anyway)!
In reply to j0ntyg: Some of them might be on UKHillwalking? http://www.ukhillwalking.com/ ...he suggests hopefully
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh: Does something have to be difficult and dangerous to be worth discussing? That'd rule out most of the climbing that most of us do, too.
 useful 03 Jul 2013
In reply to andymac: +1 for WH, if only for their brilliant GPS Planner app that gives you full OS maps for free: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/ (Including distance, Naismiths duration, ascent and descent)
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to tom_in_edinburgh) Does something have to be difficult and dangerous to be worth discussing? That'd rule out most of the climbing that most of us do, too.

Well maybe it's because the hillwalking guidebooks, unlike climbing guidebooks, are so well written and comprehensive there's nothing left to ask on a forum

fmck 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Milesy I'm sure you must generate your own weather system where ever you go.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jul 2013
In reply to j0ntyg:
Quite a lot of hill walking threads get posted in Off Belay instead of here, and for some reason don't get moved.
In reply to Toreador: We'll move them when we spot them
 tony 03 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to j0ntyg) Outdoorsmagic used to be fairly active.. but I also think 'walkers' are less OCD/addictive personalities than runners and climbers explaining the constant need to talk shite by them about the subject..

Agreed, and I also think there's a much more collaborative spirit about hillwalking - most times I contribute to a hillwalking thread it's to suggest or comment on routes, and there's much less confrontation and angst, which seems to pervade a number of the other forums on here.
PopShot 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to tom_in_edinburgh) Does something have to be difficult and dangerous to be worth discussing? That'd rule out most of the climbing that most of us do, too.
>

Well yeah but still.
 Pyreneenemec 06 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:

I don't think there is anything better than UKC out there ! I find that the quality of contributions to the forums are generally good, much better in fact than other forums I have used.

No offense meant, but hillwalking is a pretty basic activity. Most routes in the UK are so well documented and trodden that it is difficult to find something new to say about them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...