UKC

Mount Tiede tenerife in November

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam benson 02 Jul 2013
Hello all,

Does anyone have direct experience of climbing / walking up the above during November, is there snow / ice to contend with and temperatures on the hill would be good, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Sam
 mountainbagger 02 Jul 2013
In reply to sam benson: Hi, I went to the summit in November 2003. It was comfortable from what I can remember (might have needed a fleece at the top, but otherwise shorts/t-shirts), and I also do not remember any snow or ice at all (or certainly not on the path).

The hardest part about getting to the summit was having to drive to the capital, find somewhere to park and obtain a permit, which required photocopies of our passports. I don't know if it is still the case, but you needed a permit to go beyond a certain point near the top (there was somebody checking believe or not!). I believe this is to prevent too many people (who have taken the cable car) wandering about and causing errosion etc.

It certainly is a great view, smells of sulphur, and you can be back down on the beach later looking back up at something that looks incredibly high and it feels weird to think you were up there.
OP sam benson 03 Jul 2013
In reply to mountainbagger: many thanks, I am looking into booking a permit early, I was more concerned on temps / what to pack and persuading Mrs.B that this is a good idea, GR131 also looks good.
 Mikkel 03 Jul 2013
In reply to sam benson:

you can book the permit online now.
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2013
In reply to sam benson:
> (In reply to mountainbagger) many thanks, I am looking into booking a permit early, I was more concerned on temps / what to pack and persuading Mrs.B that this is a good idea, GR131 also looks good.

Yep the permit can be booked online here:
http://www.reservasparquesnacionales.es/real/parquesnac/usu/html/detalle-ac...
Its always a guess whether there will be snow/ice on the summit of Tiede in November but from past experience, the summit will probaly be prohibited by all paths (even from the Altavista hut) at the slightest hint of any snow/ice. We had this 2 years ago late December in 2011 though in late December 2012 it was all clear. If interested in what Tiede + the summit looked like last December you can see plenty of it in the opening sequence of a short film I made earlier in the year:
youtube.com/watch?v=I4-bJWAJ-HE&
Hope this helps!
Cheers Dave
OP sam benson 03 Jul 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: many thanks, looking forward to the Autumn now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...