UKC

Verdon without a car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AymanC 11 Jul 2013
Has anyone managed a successful trip to Verdon without a car?
Unfortunately none in our party can drive but I'm super keen to visit.
Went to Ceuse last year which seems doable without your own transport, but I'd be grateful to know about campsites, walk ins, etc

Cheers
 silhouette 11 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC: I don't have time to do your research for you but if you search on "La Palud sur Verdon bus" it will take you to some timetables. I think there are buses from Marseilles and Castellane, with a summer bus in the morning and evening between Pont Sublime, La palud and La maline. I can't see any buses which run to the Belvederes but if you are at a campsite you should be able to find folk to give you lifts. The little shop at La Palud should have everything you need for camping.
 Enty 11 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC:

Yep. 1987 - hitched down from Lancashire and spent 6 weeks there on 150 quid with no car. Always someone to climb with and always a lift up to the crag.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC:

We went down several times without a car 'back in the day' - traveled down by bus or train, hitched round the area then hitched home.
From La Palud you can hitch/walk to much of the climbing.
Can be very time consuming though!

Chris
 shantaram 11 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC: Same as Enty. Went in 1988. Took Eurolines bus to Castellane, then hitched to La Palud. Stayed at the campsite in La Palud for 6 weeks. It was never a problem getting a lift up to the crags either with climbers or hitching. I can't see it being a problem now. Most climbers with spare seats in their car would offer a lift.
OP AymanC 11 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC:

Thats promising guys, thanks I'll look into the buses and stuff.
 woolsack 11 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC: Yes, 1985. Gave up trying to hitch in Boulogne after about three hours and caught the train
Plenty of lifts from La Palud even back in those days
 tintinandpip 12 Jul 2013
In reply to AymanC: Don't want to spoil Enty's story but we actually went on the bus from Manchester !!!! We only hitched the last bit .....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...