UKC

First offer of a fight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 13 Jul 2013

So I was riding down a designated cycle lane this morning and the grass cutting crews were working on the side of the road and one of their trucks was in the lane reversing up it towards me. so I pulled out into the road, went round him and said as I passed "get out the way" (his window was open.

Jeeze, I might have just as well called his mother a whore. He started yelling at me and then drove past me and pulled in front and jumped out but I went round him again.

He was yelling and hollering at me to come back.

Question is; has anyone tried to have a fight wearing spandex shorts and cycling shoes?

Me, I didn't fancy my chances.
 stonemaster 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: Just kick him between the legs and run ...... Perhaps a good morning might have been better. Good luck.
Rigid Raider 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User:

On the couple of occasions when I've read of cyclist vs. driver spats actually coming to blows, the cyclists have always come off worst being as they are usually skinny and ill-shod for fighting in skiddy plastic shoes with cleats whereas the aggressive driver is usually some muscular builder in a van, flooded with testosterone and just out of the cafe and an energy-giving Full English.
 Kimono 13 Jul 2013
Er, some guys just trying to do his job and you're shouting at him? I'd probably be a bit pissed as well

or did i miss something here?
 xplorer 13 Jul 2013

Don't see why you're not happy, they were doing a job.

You give them abuse, of course he's going to give you abuse back.
 timjones 13 Jul 2013

We all have to deal with workmen whilst using the roads. Why did you feel that he should get out of your way?
 digby 13 Jul 2013

Yes, bad show. Very poor manners. You should apologise.
Rosco P Coltrane 13 Jul 2013

Kind of agree with other posters here. You said something unnecessary to a man trying to do his job and he reacted to that.

But in answer to your actual question...No I haven't.
In reply to Removed User: sorry, but you were in the wrong for shouting at him. no journey is worth a confrontation just because a workman inconvenienced your trip.
 Dr.S at work 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane: the one time I was in a scrap the guy I was sparing with grabbed hold of my helmet and gave it a good twist - distracting

I'm calling it!

4/10 - moderate effort.
 The New NickB 13 Jul 2013

Just to clarify, were the workmen acting like inconsiderate dicks and obstructing the cycle lane unnecessarily?
Rosco P Coltrane 13 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

I often go out in my car on a sunday...some friends join me too I their cars and we drive along the cycle lane at 5 mph 4 abreast and then curse the cyclists for getting annoyed with us.
 Radioactiveman 13 Jul 2013

Reversing down the cycle lane is bad form I agree,pretty sure if a vehicle was reversing along a normal road drivers wouldnt be best pleased.

As for fighting technique I heard a fried once took his shoes off and put them on his hand as carbon fibre boxing gloves !!! The driver got back in their car and focked off
 nw 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Dr.S at work:
> (In reply to Rosco P Coltrane) the one time I was in a scrap the guy I was sparing with grabbed hold of my helmet and gave it a good twist - distracting

Stealing this for next time I have to teach a cyclist some road manners.

Steve John B 13 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Rosco P Coltrane) the one time I was in a scrap the guy I was sparing with grabbed hold of my helmet and gave it a good twist - distracting

That's the problem with lycra shorts, everything's on display. You want some of those baggy mountain bike ones instead.
 wintertree 13 Jul 2013

A nice if unexpexted example off how helmets can allow much larger tortional moments to be applied to the neck. Not good in a crash...
 Dauphin 13 Jul 2013

Mini Pumps make great a great cosh. Cleats don't half take the paintwork off.

D
 Enty 13 Jul 2013

If you're wearing cleats you need to lure them to a grassy area.

E
needvert 13 Jul 2013

"Why is your bike pump made of 1" steel tubing?"

"It's multipurpose."
 nniff 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> If you're wearing cleats you need to lure them to a grassy area.
>
> E

Or, according to Hollywood and 'Transporter', a bus garage awash with oil, at which point your cleats are transformed into something akin to crampons and you become ninja and lay waste to the baddies.
 Trevers 13 Jul 2013
In reply to needvert:

Shouting at strangers who haven't actually provoked you is really smart. Maybe you could just make a judgement call on whether the cycle path is safe to use?
Clauso 13 Jul 2013

Ignore the majority of responses on this thread; you were absolutely in the right to call the tool out on that matter.

I got involved in a similar situation, with a hearse, recently. I had to resolve things by murdering the driver, beating up the corpse, and laying waste to the entire town. Cyclists need to stand up for their rights.
Removed User 13 Jul 2013

TBF, I haven't actually claimed I was in the right. But I didn't really hurl abuse at him and I was just a bit narked that he was reversing the thing towards me.

So the thread isn't really about me being in the right its about my chances if he'd caught me.

Removed User 13 Jul 2013

Fair enough, but seeing as we don't know you we can't answer though I have it in my head you're an ex forces bod so I'd have thought you're chances were pretty good, though he might have been cutting grass because he was too hard for the Foreign Legion.

They were just doing a job though, sounds like you were a little bit anal and he was a psycho meathead. Trouble over nothing.
Removed User 13 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
>
> They were just doing a job though, sounds like you were a little bit anal and he was a psycho meathead. Trouble over nothing.

Yep. I am a bit prone to "road rage" which doesn't usually include a reasonabilty test

I think I'd have apologised to the guy if I thought i could have approached him but his red mist was down.
 mockerkin 13 Jul 2013
In reply to nw:
> (In reply to Dr.S

> Stealing this for next time I have to teach a cyclist some road manners.
>> "teach a cyclist road manners"? You must be an optimist.

balmybaldwin 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve John B:

Very Good!
PopShot 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: He sounds like a complete knucklehead. Just because you said "get out of the way" he chases after you and wants to attack you? Not cool, if he had beat you up in the road he would have been charged with assault I strongly suspect. I would have been pretty pissed of at the guy reversing at me too. He should have been checking his mirrors seen as he was in a cycle lane.
Removed User 14 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:

Yep. My thoughts. I perhaps should have been a lttle more restrained but he was reversing at me in a cycle lane and I did only say "get out of the way". His reaction was way over the top and normally I would have gone back in to make my case (although, as I've said, I might even have apologised)but in spandex and cycling shoes I didn't fancy my chances.
 Aigen 14 Jul 2013
>
> So I was riding down a designated cycle lane this morning and the grass cutting crews were working on the side of the road and one of their trucks was in the lane reversing up it towards me. so I pulled out into the road, went round him and said as I passed "get out the way" (his window was open.
>
> Jeeze, I might have just as well called his mother a whore. He started yelling at me and then drove past me and pulled in front and jumped out but I went round him again.
>
> He was yelling and hollering at me to come back.
>
> Question is; has anyone tried to have a fight wearing spandex shorts and cycling shoes?
>
> Me, I didn't fancy my chances.

I am sorry but you are a tw*t. The man has a job to do and its not a big deal if you have to cycle around him.
 deepsoup 14 Jul 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:
> Kind of agree with other posters here. You said something unnecessary to a man trying to do his job and he reacted to that.

Overreacted to that, quite a lot.

Lets not get too carried away with bashing the OP, he was perhaps a wee bit out of order but the reaction he got was quite mad.
Jim C 14 Jul 2013

Was there no signage warning of upcoming works?
 mark s 14 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: ive often thought if i get into a punch when on my bike that the shoe situ wont help.ive made my mind up in my head if it comes to that,im only going to punch once so the first one is going to be the stopper
Removed User 14 Jul 2013
In reply to Aigen:
> [...]
>
>
>
>
> I am sorry but you are a tw*t. The man has a job to do and its not a big deal if you have to cycle around him.

No, I'm just a normal human being who reacts to things that are irritating in a manner which might not seem reasonable on later reflection. Perhaps I could aspire to your level of perfection but I'd likely find that you don't have it either.
 dale1968 14 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: after having fags and abuse hurled at me I caught them up at traffic lights, they locked there doors, I added a few more dints to there car but they declined my offer...(it was 25 years ago)
 JohnnyW 14 Jul 2013

Well in answer to the OP question -

Yes, in broad daylight in a town.
I won.
However, I spent the day at Her Majesty's for my trouble, and was very lucky to not get a record.
Yes, it was worth it!
Removed User 15 Jul 2013

I guess it might be worth noting why I was pissed off:

This is a city where bike lanes are as rare as rocking horse shit, so to find one blocked by a city truck who could so easily have parked off the road was a bit galling. No, they didn't have any road signs up.

Not only was it blocked but he was reversing at me, against the flow of traffic so that I wasn't sure if he could see me and was doing it anyway or hadn't seen me which presented a whole host of other risks. Going around him meant entering the flow of other traffic and I also couldn't be sure that he wasn't going to stop and open the door on me.

I'm not quite clear why his right to do his job trumps my right to ride in a designated bike lane? Last time I looked, grass cutting wasn't part of the emergency services and he wasn't actually the one cutting the grass. As I said before, he could have parked off the road but was, instead, choosing a more convenient place to park/drive.

This is also a city of SUV's and Trucks where cyclists struggle to have any courtesy offered to them. 90% of drivers will yield but the 10% that don't are also driving something big. This just adds to the overall tension.

If he hadn't had his window down I doubt he would have heard me. I didn't go into a raving rant or start waving my arms around.

In hindsight I could have kept my gob shut. I wasn't overly inconvenienced and he was working on a job but, as I've said before, I'm human and when I get irritated I tend to speak out.

As it was, he actually chased me in his truck and pulled infront of me to block me, swung his door open and started to yell after me. I think he had a disproportionate reaction.

Now, I'm not a big bloke, but I can be a nasty little f**ker and I'm willing to stand my ground in a fight if I believe in the cause. In this case I didn't believe in the cause enough (I recon it was a 50:50 call)and I also didn't think I had any chance in spandex padded shorts and cleats. He was also a good 6'6" which might have swung it

So there ya go. my version of events. If you want his I expect you'll need to go on to grass cutters united or some other forum.

robandian 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: cycling round Carsington with my youngest at the time on a front seat when I ran over a little dog and crashed. Dog was ok, my son's helmet had a big dint and he was well upset. In the ensuing discussion with the dog owner I won the argument by throwing my bike at him !!!
 jkarran 15 Jul 2013

> So I was riding down a designated cycle lane this morning and the grass cutting crews were working on the side of the road and one of their trucks was in the lane reversing up it towards me. so I pulled out into the road, went round him and said as I passed "get out the way" (his window was open.

Why on earth would you shout at someone doing their job, maintaining something you are using and presumably value? It seems rather unnecessary.

Any yes, the other guy also sounds like an idiot for perusing you.

And no, I've not had a fight in lycra.

jk
 Mike Stretford 15 Jul 2013
In reply to jkarran:
>
> [...]
>
> Why on earth would you shout at someone doing their job, maintaining something you are using and presumably value? It seems rather unnecessary.
>

As the OP has said above, some of us do things out of irritation sometimes which aren't that sensible. Good thread on the escalating nature of over-reaction.... culminating in cyberpunk calling the OP a 'tw*t', which tops the OP and the grass cutter on the out of order scale!

Sir Chasm 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to jkarran)
> [...]
>
> As the OP has said above, some of us do things out of irritation sometimes which aren't that sensible. Good thread on the escalating nature of over-reaction.... culminating in cyberpunk calling the OP a 'tw*t', which tops the OP and the grass cutter on the out of order scale!

Calling someone on the internet a tw*t is more out of order than offering them violence face to face? Every day's a school day.
 rallymania 15 Jul 2013

i used to cycle along the canal path in glasgow on my MTB, i occasionally wondered how i'd deal with someone trying to take my bike of me if i couldn't just cycle away. figured lifting the bike by saddle and stem and dunking them in the face with the chainring would stop most people.

thankfully never had to find out

as the saying goes... before you pull i tigers tail... have a plan for dealing with it's claws
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to Papillon)
> [...]
> Every day's a school day.

Don't worry your summer hols start soon and you can spend more time making quality posts on ukc.
 deepsoup 15 Jul 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> as the saying goes... before you pull i tigers tail... have a plan for dealing with it's claws

As the other saying goes... no battle plan survives contact with the enemy
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to Papillon)
> [...]
>
> Calling someone on the internet a tw*t is more out of order than offering them violence face to face?

Right, I have a minute so will deal with your question.

According to the OP, he avoided a face to face encounter because the man was angry and hurling abuse, though at least the grass cutter has the excuse he was provoked and actually involved in the incident. Cyberpunk hurled abuse even though he had no involvement and was not provoked, so yes, I think his behavior is worse.
 FrankBooth 15 Jul 2013
During a confrontation with a motorist, I offered my CO2 pump by way of appeasement, and told him it was nitrous oxide "hey bud, lets share a toke of the funny stuff and make up", I said, "you can go first - pop this in your mouth and twist". Within seconds, he'd frozen his head solid.
 Rollo 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Dr.S at work)
> [...]
>
> That's the problem with lycra shorts, everything's on display. You want some of those baggy mountain bike ones instead.

Ha ha ha ha!!!! Amazing!

paulfrancisl 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: Do you know his mother's phone number?
 lost1977 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Dauphin:
>
> Mini Pumps make great a great cosh. Cleats don't half take the paintwork off.
>
> D

Kryptonite evolution mini carried in the back pocket was the favourite with cycle messengers (couldnt be better designed if thats your thing)
 kevin stephens 17 Jul 2013
My "offer of a fight"

Cycling out from home on start of summer evening training ride
Sudden hard thud on back of head, water bomb nearly knocked me off bike
Turned round to see some children in garden throwing water bombs

My Mistake: I thought some parental advice may help educate on the dangers so I mentioned it politely to children's father to get:

"Well done son, give him another one, and you (to me)put your willy away"

I should mention my lycra was black (not white)
 BrendanO 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User: It is all-too-easy to say something and perhaps later think it wasn't the best thing to do (I've done it).

My main thought is for the NEXT cyclist who innocently comes along and possibly gets something undeserved from the grass cutters, since you ran off.

Recently, I'm trying hard to remember that I act as an example to cars etc, and can be GOOD or Bad, on cycle or motorbike. Not always easy though.
In reply to BrendanO:

I had a contrasting week last week; on the Monday, I coasted for a while to let a Stobie truck pass me, and, once he'd passed, he waggled his indicators in thanks, and I gave him a friendly acknowledging wave.

On Thursday, I got hooted, shouted at, stopped in front of by some chav in a tyre-squealing heap. So much so that I rang 101. Nice copper came this morning to take a statement, agree that my complaint was entirely justified, and a Section 59 is likely to be in order.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...