Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Tete Blanche - Petite Fourche and Aiguille Du Tour

JAOADMS - on 15 Jul 2013
Hi!

I'm looking to do; Aiguille du Tour North+south Summit and then either the day before or after Tete Blanche East ridge then continue up Petite Fourche N Face/NW ridge. Has anyone got any information on the above peaks and know the current route/glacier conditions? and any idea of the quality of rock for Aiguille du Tour?

I'll be heading out to Chamonix in just over a week for my second Alpine trip (first not guided) and these mountains looked like a good option.
I'd appreciate any advice as I've only spent a few days on glaciers so was hoping to keep the glacier approach simple while I build up experience... Also, any advice on which hut to stay in? I have a few different guide books that recommend either Cabane du trient or refuge Albert premier. The approaches to the climb seem to be simple for each so am happy to go on which have better views or nicer a atmosphere?

If anyone would like to suggest routes/mountains that are maybe better for a first Alpine climb I'd be interested to hear suggestions? The reason I picked the ones above were the glacier approaches looked simple enough, they shouldn't be crowded, and don't require any long exposed rock climbs (I'll be climbing with my Dad who is not a rock climber and can get nervous on exposed rock routes... though he did make it up Afterthought arete at stag rocks in the Cairngorms this winter without too much moaning). I did look at doing Pointe Isabella via the normal route but have been told that the Glacier is tricky late in the season when the crevasses are exposed, has anyone else found the same?

Thanks for any advice!!
Jon
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums