HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Looking for advice on trip to Ireland's highest mountains

Jim C - on 17 Jul 2013
I am reading IB's The Highest Mountains of Britain and Ireland and have 17 days holiday still to take . (within the next 6 weeks)

I have eplored most of mainland Scotland, and the Munro's, and am well into the Corbetts, been to Shetland ;Orkney, and most of the Hebrides,but I have never been to Ireland , and just started to think that with this good weather, I could perhaps do a 1- 2 week trip to tour a bit and walk , at least some of the highest Mountains on the trip

Thinking of cost( just forked out for a big bill on the car) I would want to take the car on the ferry ( cheapest time/ place ) starting from the Loch Lomond area, but for accommodation wild camping or camp sites; bunkhouses and hosteling would be my preference.
(The odd night B&B would be a treat, if one or two came highly recommended)

There is bound to be a wealth of knowledge/ experience on UKC/UKH ! so I'm looking for travel, advice, recommendations/ experiences of locations / places to stay close enough to drive to/ walk around MacGillycuddy West i.e (Carrauntoohil: Caher& Beenkeragh ) at least. And I might well do some others like Lugnaquillia; Galtimore;;(MacGillycuddy' Reeks East; ) and Brandon , so if anyone has similar hints for those too all advice welcomed.

I'm up for touristy days out too, so any 'must see ' and ' must do ' tourist things when in and around that area, but willing to travel quite a bit, if something comes highly recommended.

Lastly, I will do my usual prep for navigating my way round the hills, IB' s book is pretty good it seems, I will get the maps , but any local knowledge / experiences on the routes will also be much appreciated.

I would be on my own, wife & kids not not interested) so I'm totally flexible, and can change plans on a whim, so the more options the merrier, and please don't miss out stating the obvious, as I have been known to forget these, and I will not be offended.

Over to you, all contributions will be appreciated. ( even PopShot)
... not showing 30 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums