UKC

Matterhorn Italian ridge conditions / guides office phone #?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alps_p 18 Jul 2013
Is it climbable at the moment, or would perhaps someone be able to point me to some sort of Guides Office that I could call to inquire about conditions?

Is the Carrel hut ever too crowded to not have spaces for climbers? From what I've found on the internet, it's unmanned so reservations aren't possible (?)
cariva 18 Jul 2013
In reply to alps_p:
I was in Courmayeur last week (until sunday) and asked a little bit about the Matterhorn current conditions...I was advised that conditions were not good yet since there was still plenty of snow up there. I believe it all depends on your skills and the compromise you are willing to make after all (there won't be a lot of people if you go now).
The weather was really nice and warm last week though!
You can get the Cervinia Guides office contact numbers on internet.
Cheers
OP alps_p 18 Jul 2013
In reply to cariva: thanks. Getting the Cervinia guides office number on the net wasn't easy, I ended up calling the Zermatt office and getting it from them!
conditions are OK on the Hornli ridge, but not on the Italian ridge, as I was told. Given the fact that Italian ridge is meant to be shorter (from the hut to the summit), but more demanding technically, I don't think I'd want to try that if it's covered in snow. I've already had to retreat from the Hornli ridge in April 3 years ago, climbing that in snowy conditions was no fun.
cariva 18 Jul 2013
In reply to alps_p:
Right on, man! If the weather keeps this nice and warm (hopefully not too warm) you will probably be good in a couple of weeks maybe.
I will be in cervinia in a couple of weeks to check that out myself but my bets really are in the early september option if I manage to get another week off.
Try this to see if it works: http://www.guidedelcervino.com/content.asp?ID=138

Cheers
OP alps_p 18 Jul 2013
In reply to cariva: well we're boarding our flight tomorrow, so I won't have the luxury of waiting couple of weeks! But I phoned the guides office in Zermatt, and later the Hornli hut (or Berghaus Matterhorn, as it is known these days) and was told that the conditions are really good, and that the forecast for the next few days is OK.
cariva 22 Jul 2013
In reply to alps_p:
Have a nice and safe trip then! Let me know how was it when you come back!
OP alps_p 04 Aug 2013
In reply to cariva: we went and climbed the Hornli ridge 2 weeks ago. Great conditions, according to the hut guardian lots of people were summiting throughout the week. Italian ridge, on the other hand, was still covered in snow and unclimbable at that time.
 steelbru 04 Aug 2013
In reply to alps_p:
Italian ridge done by Kilian Jornet yesterday ( Cervinia - Mattterhorn - Cerviniia ) in 4h 05m in trail shoes !!!!

He's training to beat the record of 3h 15m, this was his 2nd ascent and he reckons he'll do it about 15-20 times to learn it before he goes for record when conditions are suitable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...