UKC

Strava etiquette and cafe stops?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 22 Jul 2013
I'm not sure if Strava etiquette has had time to develop reporting "rules" like we have in climbing so the question is...

What do you do when you have one (or even two) cafe stops on a ride?

The choices seem to be...

1) let the computer run and mess up your ave. speed.

2) Press pause and generate an unrealistic picture of you capabilities.

3) press stop and break rides into two (there and back).

What do you do?
 sleavesley 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS: I use garmin connect for being non competitive as this gives avg speed and average moving speed. When my edge 500 worked I had it on auto pause when stopped, when it went a bit weird I pressed stop/start at cafe breaks or toilet stops as strava is more or less about segments and not the whole ride.
My edge 500 should be returned in the next 14 days with a 90 day warranty (it was a week from being out of the 12 month warranty and repair would cost at least £70!
 Banned User 77 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS: I thought strava doesn't allow stops on segments anyway....
 balmybaldwin 22 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

It does, but works out overall time from entry into segment to leaving segment, therefore time stopped is added on
 Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:

I did a ride to a pub last Christmas. On the way back, unbeknownst to me, the pub was 400m into a strava segment. I loaded the track upto Strava and it recorded my segment time as about 3 hours. It was quite amusing, seeing my place on the bottom of the leader board.
 mikehike 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:
Strava has elapsed time and moving time, I take this to mean Cafe stops are taken into account. Im not sure the difference between pausing or letting it run through the cafe stop. However if you Pause you may forget to restart.

lost1977 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:

option 3 would be my preference but i guess it would probably depend on the ride
 Burnsie 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS: if you pause during a segment it doesn't record that segment. Best to pause during a planned stop or do as I have done and get last place on one due to getting the bonk and sitting on a bench for 20 min with the timer still running!
In reply to JLS:

Keep it running if you want to add it to Strava. Otherwise we could all go flat out, rest and recover , go flat lout again to complete segment and get KOM etc.
 Batcloud 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:

I'd assumed that Strava didn't include stopped time for the overall ride (when calculating average speed), only for individual segments?
 Enty 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:
> I'm not sure if Strava etiquette has had time to develop reporting "rules" like we have in climbing so the question is...
>
> What do you do when you have one (or even two) cafe stops on a ride?
>
> The choices seem to be...
>
> 1) let the computer run and mess up your ave. speed.
>
> 2) Press pause and generate an unrealistic picture of you capabilities.
>
> 3) press stop and break rides into two (there and back).
>
> What do you do?

None of the above. I have mine on autostop. Basically for those 2 or 3 minute stops on the top of climbs but even for half an hour in a cafe.
My average speed on rides with a cafe stop isn't much different from my avaerage speed without stops.
There's one exception - if I stop for a coke at Chalet Reynard on Mont Ventoux I can usually do the top 6km a couple of minutes faster than if I don't stop.

E

OP JLS 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty:

>"if I stop for a coke at Chalet Reynard on Mont Ventoux I can usually do the top 6km a couple of minutes faster"

Is that a can or a line?
OP JLS 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'm getting the vibe from the various posts above that people are happy to "stop the clock" (either manually or automatically) and don't worry too much about the "benefits" of a cafe stop.

So my 2hr59 for the Sella Ronda stands despite having lunch with the Mrs mid route
OP JLS 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:

Thanks all.
In reply to JLS:

Strava will recognise the stop periods and ignore them when calculating average speed etc. When you look at one of your activities you'll see moving and elapsed times - the average speed is calculated using moving time.

For actual Strava segments then time stopped is counted for that segment, as someone else said, it's the difference between the segment entry and exit times.

ALC
 Enty 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
>
> So my 2hr59 for the Sella Ronda stands despite having lunch with the Mrs mid route

Of course!!

I was well pleased with my 1h55m up Ventoux last week because 30 minutes of that was in the café

E

Burnsie 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

I'd say most strava koms are targeted anyway so abit pointless. I.e. folk go out for their ride and deliberately target one segment to blast through. I know if you pause the iPhone app it won't count th.e segment you are in. Not sure how this works for other devices though.
 Enty 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Burnsie:
> (In reply to Beat me to it!)
>
> I'd say most strava koms are targeted anyway so abit pointless. I.e. folk go out for their ride and deliberately target one segment to blast through.

Like Laurens Ten Dam last Sunday

Ventoux in 58 minutes!!

E
 Burnsie 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty: Ok just to muddy the waters how to we stand on switching bikes halfway through a segment, say climbing on a super light sprinting machine, then switching to a full tt bike for the decent..??
interdit 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Burnsie:
> (In reply to Enty) Ok just to muddy the waters how to we stand on switching bikes halfway through a segment, say climbing on a super light sprinting machine, then switching to a full tt bike for the decent..??

This is one of those rare moments i'd actually welcome a 'like' button on UKC.
 mikehike 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS:

I dont think stopping for a rest could be frowned upon. Some riders inc myself will wait for favourable wind before tackling local segments.
I do have one personal rule though, never Strava down hill, as its an accident waiting to happen.

Happy Ridings
In reply to JLS:

Maratona for you, if you want to see how you compare to others on the sella Ronda. 5000 riders, tv cameras, closed roads, what's not to like?
 quirky 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JLS: Just be aware of going back down the same segment! Nothing worse than turning yourself inside out to get a hill segment then rolling back down to encourage your slower mate only to find that strava has given you both the same time!
 Enty 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Burnsie:
> (In reply to Enty) Ok just to muddy the waters how to we stand on switching bikes halfway through a segment, say climbing on a super light sprinting machine, then switching to a full tt bike for the decent..??

Cheating.

E
OP JLS 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Burnsie:

>"how to we stand on switching bikes halfway through a segment"

Is this the plan for "Over the top of the Campsies"?
 Banned User 77 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty: Isn't this what Froome did basically to win a curial time trial?

OP JLS 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

>"Maratona for you"

Yes, i have been riding around the various loops. The Passo Giau nearly killed me after only the direct 1.5 hours ride to the bottom. I've concluded that to have first done Sella Ronda I.e. 4.5 hours of riding, would be beyond me. The middle route up Passo Falzarego "might" be a go'er though...

Have you done Maratona on the actual day?
 TimB 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty:
>> (In reply to Enty) Ok just to muddy the waters how to we stand on switching bikes halfway through a segment, say climbing on a super light sprinting machine, then switching to a full tt bike for the decent..??

>Cheating.

Enty in "stricter than the UCI" shocker.

http://www.steephill.tv/2013/tour-mediterraneen/photos/stage-02/#010-PIC345...
 Enty 23 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Enty) Isn't this what Froome did basically to win a curial time trial?

Yes - I'd do the same but can't afford to.

E
 Phil Lyon 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Enty:

are you allowed to get a choccy bar off your mate near the end of a segment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...