UKC

Panniers...I need some

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 24 Jul 2013
My 9 year old 'High Gear' panniers have shown their weakness yesterday when I tried to carry some heavy shopping in them. I normally only attach one bag to my bike which holds a d-lock, pump, spare tube and a few tools. Yesterday my cargo consisted of a chicken, few veg and a water melon and all no more than 4kg-5kg tops.

The pannier just about stayed in place but I had to move slowly for fear of it slipping off. Some stitching burst from the carry-handle.

I'd appreciate something a bit more substantial that my Argos jobbies but not so expensive as to be made of gold.

Cheers muchly
 Andrew W 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I think that the normal reply would be something like these http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/bike/rear-panniers/back-roller-city-panniers.html although they are quite expensive but they do work well and are also waterproof.

These look good and are a bit cheaper http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-rack-pack-uni-panniers/
 wilkesley 24 Jul 2013

I got some Avenir ones from GoOutdoors last year. Think they were around £30 each (ie £60 for the pair). Not used them extensively, but so far have been fine for a short cycle tour and generally carrying stuff about.
 Tricky Dicky 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Try your local Aldi, they might have some left after a cycling gear special they had a month or so ago.
 thomasmcalonan 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: search the well known auction site for crosso panniers. I submitted them to some pretty rough biking and they are doing great. Much cheaper than ortlieb equivalent.
 Bob Hughes 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Altura panniers are good

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura/panniers/
OP The Lemming 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Are there any brands or design features that I should avoid like the plague?
 nniff 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Go for Edinburgh cycle coop revolution adventure ones - their own brand . Good price, really tough and with rixen & kaul fittings which are replaceable should you allow a lorry to drive over them for example......... also properly craps weather proof.
 Blizzard 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Ortileb. Brillant kit. And make sure that you get a rack that can carry at least 25kg. You should be able to get a frame rack for just under £40. It will last a lifetime.
 EddInaBox 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

To give you an option at the opposite end of the price spectrum to Ortlieb and the like, these:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-hook-on-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/
(or search for pannier 11550 on a well known online auction site)

They don't have a complicated quick release system, just old fashioned plastic coated metal hooks at the top and another hook attached to a length of elastic at the bottom. They are made from tough fabric that doesn't guarantee to be waterproof but does a pretty good impression of it, one zipped side pocket, draw string closure under the top flap, the backs could do with being a bit stiffer perhaps but for occasional shopping and general day to day use they are much better value for money than anything else out there.
OP The Lemming 24 Jul 2013
In reply to EddInaBox:

That's what I have right now.
 Green Porridge 25 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I've had some Vaude ones for a couple of years - "aqua back" or something, I believe they're called. I've fond them to be really good.
 Richard Carter 26 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd recommend the Ortlieb "plus" pannier bags.
They're not quite as durable as the standard ones in my opinion, however they aren't made from PVC, which is incredibly polluting and harmful to the environment. They're a bit lighter I think which is good.

I have two 'front rollers' which I use on the back of my road bike when I'm off on a long journey - or need to get the shopping in!
 mbh 26 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

If it is just shopping and around town stuff you want to do, how about this rear side wire basket from Basil, for 15 pounds or so, instead of a pannier.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basil-Rear-wheel-basket-Cardiff/dp/B005CGLFOM/ref=s...

We have ortlieb, Altura, and a fancy Dutch make of panniers for touring, of which the ortliebs are the best; but for just shopping; the basket is way cheaper and a lot handier.I use it all the time. I just hook it onto my rack, then unhook it at the shop and use it as my shopping basket. it is easier to carry around than many panniers and the lack of a lid means it is also easier to chuck stuff into it then get it again once you are home.

I also use it for going to my allotment on my bike, or to the pool. Wet and mud don`t collect at the bottom of it but just fall out. At first, I used to attach it securely to the bike with a bungee, but haven`t bothered once I realiised that this is unnecessary and that it would be a lot handier without.

They make smaller front baskets too, and I want one.
 mbh 26 Jul 2013
In reply to mbh:

For cycling along the local railway path, when muddy, I also use an old ex-bike hire pannier which I don`t mind getting muddy and which the bike shop was selling for 5 quid.
OP The Lemming 26 Jul 2013
In reply to mbh:

Do you want me to look like a girl?

OP The Lemming 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> I'd recommend the Ortlieb "plus" pannier bags.

I am leaning to the Ortlieb kit, especially as I have an Ortlieb bag for my rucsac which is old enough now to have consensual sex.

malk 20 Aug 2013
In reply to EddInaBox:
>
> To give you an option at the opposite end of the price spectrum to Ortlieb and the like, these:
> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-hook-on-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/

thanks for this- i've just got these to replace my 30 year old karrimor panniers. what a bargain!- light yet robust looking (although i haven't actually used them yet..

OP The Lemming 20 Aug 2013
In reply to malk:

I had very similar panniers, which I bought from Argos.

The only weakness in my bags were the hook,s which were made of plastic. If yours are made of steel, then you have a good pair of bags.

Another problem with mine, apart from the plastic hooks was the size and shape of the bags. When peddling quite quickly, the bags would fold in towards the rear spokes and I could hear the bag rattling against the spokes. It was quite scary at times because I thought that my wheel may collapse if the bag went too far in between the spokes while I was peddling for all I was worth.
 malk 20 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: metal hooks with 4 studs - happy days
yes, i had same problem with old pannier rack but new one is better designed as are the panniers..
 elsewhere 20 Aug 2013
Just got one of these
Altura Arran 16 Pannier (Single) 2012 16 Litre Black

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altura-Arran-Pannier-Single-Litre/dp/B000P1OBQ8

Only just it but very easy to get on/off & very solid on the rack.

Clips are plastic.
estivoautumnal 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
>
> Ortileb. Brillant kit. And make sure that you get a rack that can carry at least 25kg. You should be able to get a frame rack for just under £40. It will last a lifetime.

Agree. Ortlieb. All the rest are poor in comparison except Vaude which are Ortlieb copies.

It's one area where there is no doubt as to which brand is best. Ortlieb, used by every serious cycle tourist.
 malk 20 Aug 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: how long have ortlieb panniers been tested for?
 EddInaBox 20 Aug 2013
In reply to malk:
> (In reply to EddInaBox)

> thanks for this ...

You're welcome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...