UKC

pic de midi and pic de aneto routes - pyreneese

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 27 Jul 2013
Im looking at doing a route on the pic de midi, and one on the aneto in the next few days. Had anyone done one of the AD/D routes on the pic de midi, had a look at a guide book but didnt offer much info? also looking at doing a route on the Aneto, but cant seem to find much infomation on routes, other than the standard walking route, does anyone know of any AD ish routes (on the north side from benasque.Ive herd of one along the main ridge but dont know more than that.
thanks
 drolex 27 Jul 2013
In reply to sethmford: Pic du Midi de Bigorre or Pic du Midi d'Ossau? Can recommend the excellent and very exhaustive book "la Vallée d'Ossau" by Buxo & Alfonso for the latter, if it is the one you're after...
OP ford23 27 Jul 2013
In reply to drolex: sorry should have said, meant de Bigorre, always forget there are two!
 Pyreneenemec 27 Jul 2013
In reply to sethmford:

Not much at all on the Pic de Mide de Bigorre ! There is a long couloir on the N face, but that is a winter climb. I'd seriously consider going elsewhere !

As for the Aneto, the "classic" ridge route- graded AD+- is the "Cresta Salenques / Tempestades". I've doe it a few times, definitely one of the best outings in the Pyrénées.

More info here and a few other routes :

http://www.camptocamp.org/routes/137740/fr/aneto-arete-salenques-tempetes

There is a lovely spot to bivvy , at the lake, under the Col de Salenques. Many prefer to bivvy at the Col, but you then have to take all the bivvy material to the summit ! I usually bivvy after the climb, depending on how you move on easy ground it can be a LONG day !
OP ford23 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec: that route on aneto looks awesome ! think were going to go for that starting, is there anywhere to bivy on the climb? as we will be starting from hospice de france and want to get as far as we can on the first day!
 Pyreneenemec 28 Jul 2013
In reply to sethmford:

I've never done it that way, but finding a suitable spot shouldn't be too difficult. There are fantastic views from the Port de Venasque of all the Maladeta.

Pyreneenemec 29 Jul 2013
In reply to sethmford:

If you did it, I'd be interested to here how you got on !
 Pyreneenemec 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

or hear even :

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...