UKC

Scafell Pike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Dunne 30 Jul 2013
Hey, Can anyone recommend a good scramble route up Scafell Pike? We'll be heading up in late September. Ta
J1234 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne:
Brotherkeld - Eskdale - Thors Buttress - Pen - Scafell pike - Lords Rake (or climbers traverse under East to Foxes tarn)- Scafell - Sightside - Brotherkeld

Take a confidence rope.
One of the finest days out in the Lakes IMHO

sjc
redsonja 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne: the west wall traverse is also an exciting way to get from scafell pike to scafell
 Wesley Orvis 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne:

Another nice way up is to follow the Corridor Route from Styhead Tarn up to Round How and then take the slabs on the right hand side of Round How (about grade 2) into the nameless hidden valley behind it, you will see nobody up here, from there you have several options but my favourite is the Longpike Buttress which leads up from the left handside of the hanging valley to the summit of Great End, it's a stiff grade 3 on fantastic rock in one of finest settings in the Lakes.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:
Or alternatively

Brotherkeld - Eskdale - Ill Crag SE face - Scafell pike - Lords Rake (or climbers traverse under East to Foxes tarn, or West Wall traverse, or even Broad Stand)- Scafell - Sightside - Brotherkeld
J1234 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Toreador:
Never tried West Wall traverse, but I shall, what is it grade 3?
Heres one for you, you know the ab down to Mickledore right of Broad Stand, well it`s actually the line of Crowleys route, only takes 5 mins to tick and worthwhile and fun.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:
West Wall traverse is little more than a walk, might be grade 1 at a pinch. Some unpleasant scree near the top, but not as bad as Lords Rake!
OP Steve Dunne 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne: Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll definitely give some of them a go.
dylan_the_fox 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne:

I'd take a helmet for WWT. Nearly had a boulder where my head used to be thanks to the piles of loose stuff + many muppets above.
In reply to Steve Dunne: Ill Crags SE face (grade 3) or - wild card - Crenation Ridge on Pikes Crag (Diff, a fair bit of loose rock, some quite steep wee crux bits, a nice quiet mountaineering route...though I'd bring a rope)
 Wesley Orvis 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne:

Second what Dan said with regards to Crenation Ridge,cracking little route, although we pitched it, but does feel more like a scramble than a climb, down climbing from the back of Pulpit Rock into the gully can be a bit nerving though. Then over Broad Stand and take in both Scafell Pike and Scafell, never done the two climbs together but i think i will give it a blast this weekend myself.
redsonja 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne: agree with Dylan about the helmet
 rubisco 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne:

I may be looking at Crenation Ridge for a weekend in August. What's the abseil like from the top? Are there decent anchors to be had?
In reply to rubisco: Yes. In-situ tat the last 2 times I've been there too.
 rubisco 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Cheers!
OP Steve Dunne 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne: Any suggestions of campsites/spots etc?
 Wesley Orvis 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve Dunne:

Wasdale national trust is nice, but the one in the field opposite the pub at Wasdale Head is cheaper.
OP Steve Dunne 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Thanks for the help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...