/ Lakes multi-pitch on a single rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
snapperdan - on 31 Jul 2013
I realise using two half ropes would be ideal for lots of different reasons, but is it possible to climb routes at places like Gimmer on a single rope safely without too much hassle if you walk down off the crag rather than abseil?

Obviously I'd only climb a pretty direct route.
August West on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to snapperdan:

Yes, if that's all you've got go for it.

Take plenty of longer quickdraws and slings and extend everything.
Jon Stewart - on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to snapperdan:

As above, you'll be fine. Gimmer is great, enjoy!
A Mountain Journey - on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to snapperdan: Loads of Lakes trad is fine on a single rope, a few extenders will come in handy though.
For Gimmer though, the abseil descent is far quicker than walking / scrambling back down should you wish to climb multiple routes.
In reply to snapperdan: Thanks for the advice I've got plenty of longer quickdraws and slings, so it looks like I'll be fine.
goose299 - on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to snapperdan:
I climbed in the lakes for the best part of three years on a single. Had no real issues but obviously avoided wandering routes
Bought twins about a month before I left the area. Go figure!
In reply to snapperdan: I'm assuming the same can be said for routes in North Wales on crags like Cloggy too?
Richard Alderton - on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to snapperdan:

So much depends on the specific route, as well as how much/ where you place gear, that it's hard to generalise.

I've seen people zigzag their way up a short, 'straight' route with careless gear placement. And equally I've seen people protect 'wandering' routes on a single rope with careful extending (and judicious skipping of gear placements).

Pretty much anywhere in the country I'd be happier with two, but if a single was all that was available, it wouldn't put me off. Just choose routes wisely and be prepared to belay a bit more often if necessary.
GridNorth - on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to snapperdan: Not forgetting of course that if you have run out more than half a rope length and then get stuck for one reason or another you will have to be imaginative to get out of the situation.
In reply to GridNorth: This is one of the things which concerns me a bit!! All adds to the adventure I suppose....
ads.ukclimbing.com
martinph78 on 31 Jul 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Running pitches shorter than 25m can help with this and also with rope drag. Despite using long or few runners, I find rope drag on the rock becomes the main problem on easier climbs. 25+m of rope, dragging on a large slab, adds a lot of friction! A good reason for not skipping those belay stances or linking pitches together.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.