UKC

Late nesting birds on major sea-cliffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfyn Jones 01 Aug 2013
Due to the harsh winter many of the large sea-bird colonies are suffering potentially serious declines in numbers..and to make it worse the birds are breeding very late this year, meaning many are still nesting with young chicks still siting on nests.
RSPB have advised the BMC that it may be wise for climbers to carefully check all sea-cliffs that normally have climbing restrictions (that are usually lifted today) to ensure that climbing will not disturb these birds and to consider avoiding these cliffs for another week or so.

More information on the BMC website..https://www.thebmc.co.uk/late-birds--dont-climb

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)
 3 Names 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Thanks
 MattJP 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Thats good advice. Excellent work.
 NickD 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones: Diolch Elfyn. Might be worth posting this in Rocktalk - not sure everyone reads this forum!
 John2 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones: I was walking next to Stackpole Head this afternoon. All of the razorbills that were nesting there a couple of weeks ago have now departed, leaving an impressive quantity of guano behind.
 Ian Parsons 01 Aug 2013
In reply to John2:

Well we've all done that!
 AJM 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Anyone know if the old redoubt still has birds hanging around?

Assume that the fine is no longer applicable too?
 LRob 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones: There are still lots of birds/chicks on red walls today. Puffins etc. Not worth going down yet as a gesture of good will and common sense. spoke to the guy in the RSPB and he said it could be a couple of weeks but if in doubt ring before making the drive over.
 irish paul 01 Aug 2013
In reply to AJM: I WA on the phone to the head ranger for berry head today, birds are gone and the ban is lifted, so no problems there
 AJM 02 Aug 2013
In reply to irish paul:

Ace thanks!
 NickD 02 Aug 2013
The RSPB South Stack twitter feed suggests the auks are still around.
https://twitter.com/RSPBSouthStack
OP Elfyn Jones 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Thanks to everyone for their patience on this. The message from the conservation bodies is that they really appreciate the co-operation from climbers in staying off these crags for the extra few days.

But I can confirm that all of the annual seasonal climbing restrictions due to nesting birds have now been lifted on all the sea-cliffs in Wales..inc. Pembs, Gower, Lleyn, gogarth and the Ormes.

Elfyn
 Offwidth 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

I'd agree with the point someone made above not evetyone has the BMC forum turned on. Rocktalk is better but better still would be a UKC news article... I'm sure UKC would oblige.
 NickD 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones: There were scads of auks on the Little Orme this weekend. Not too close to the climbing, but shows that they haven't all left yet.
 SGD 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Elfyn Jones: Slightly off topic but we have just returned from a week on Lundy and they still have a ban in place until the 16/8 (or was it the 19/8??) It includes all the crags mentioned in the guide book as restricted as well as a few others so you might want to check out the list in the Marisco tavern before you head out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...