UKC

Help with boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
momuscles69 04 Aug 2013
I am climbing doing a week long alpine course followed by an ascent of Mont Blanc middle September of this year. I think I have narrowed by selection down to two boots; Phantom Guides and Nepal Evo GTX. Which would be best for this situation? Am I right in saying the Phantom Guide is a winter boot and the Nepal a summer boot? Would the gaitor on the Phantom make the boot a little cumbersome? Ideally I would like for the boot to be used in winter alpine and Scottish winter.

I have tried both boots on but still undecided.

Thanks!
In reply to momuscles69: The situation is not as important as the fit. How have you narrowed your choices as the fit of these two boots is very different. Of course the warmth of the boot is a factor but neither of these boots can be considered a summer boot just the Phantom will be warmer.
 Malt_Loaf 04 Aug 2013
In reply to momuscles69: By winter alpine do you mean climbing in the Alps during the winter season, or winter climbing in the Alps during summer season?

Nepal's are bombproof and probably one of the best scottish winter boots ever made and perfectly up to Alpine climbing. If you meant climbing in the alps during the alpine winter season, the Phantoms may well provide added warmth.

ML.
Lusk 04 Aug 2013
In reply to momuscles69:

I love Scarpa boots.
Have you looked at the Phantom Ultra? Looks a better bet.
 markmcgladdery 04 Aug 2013
In reply to momuscles69:
I've had the Nepal evo's for years and love them - but simply because they fit my feet perfectly ! Worn them every summer in Cham. Mostly approach work, long slogs to rock routes and super comfy. But were also perfect on ascent of Mont Blanc last year as good and warm.
For summer alpine would go for lighter version now like trango s evo. But these could be cold on MB.
 Strachan 05 Aug 2013
In reply to momuscles69:
Hi, I have just done two weeks in the Alps in Phantom Ultras and couldn't recommend them highly enough. Really comfy, warm enough and not at all cumbersome. If you are planning to do winter alpine though, maybe don't go for something this lightweight. In terms of fit, they should be almost identical to the guides, as they are the same boot with a thicker sole and more insulation. Hope this helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...