UKC

S America mountaineering dec-march?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 breed 04 Aug 2013
Heading to s America from December to march and looking to do a monthish of mountain climbing. Where will be good to head to during this time period? Any specific mountains that are must dos?

Brad
 maria85 05 Aug 2013
In reply to breed: A bit more info on your objectives would be good... snow/ice routes or alpine rock? Grades? Peru/Bolivia area or Patagonia or elsewhere? South America is a big place.
OP breed 07 Aug 2013
In reply to breed: Was hoping to do some snow ice routes on big mountains. Really just wanting general info so we can travel to where its going to be good. Been reading that the best Bolivian and Peruvian season is June-August. Patagonian looks serious like really serious and the north or patagonia looks like dessert volcanoes? Also heading to cochamo and baraloche for some rock action.
Hernani 09 Aug 2013
In reply to breed: The climb season to PEru/Bolívia is june to september. After that rain/snow are very frequently and you probably will have problems to arrive base camps and acumulate snow. In the patagonia and south Andes, like Aconcágua, the season goes dec to march. The north patagonia is very big , but the deserts begins after Aconcágua.
I don´t know your climb experience, but I suggest the lakes region of Chile. There is a lot of places to go, major of that beatifuls Vulcans circulated by lakes and trees, Like Villarica (the most popular), Lanin, quetrupilán (I think write this way), and many others in the region of Bariloche (Argentina). Try a look to this places.
In the Aconcágua region, there is many others, like Cerro Plata and Mercedario. But are more highest than the south Vulcans, with long time climb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...