UKC

Wheel upgrade?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 05 Aug 2013
I'm thinking of upgrading wheels (and frame) to make my bike lighter and nicer, and as a reward to myself for losing weight off me (currently around 65kg). I'm thinking of a factory wheel set around 1500 gm. My Current wheels are hand made Ultegra hubs with open pro rims, but I cant be bothered taking off the tyres, cassette etc to find how much they weigh. Does anyone know how much weight I would save?
 Andrew W 05 Aug 2013
In reply to kevin stephen: What sort of budget do you have for the new wheelset.
In reply to Andrew W:
a few deals around at the moment under £500, eg Easton EA90 SL. Shimano RS80 etc
 danm 05 Aug 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

I got a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S this Spring as a way to persuade myself to do the Fred. Just over 1500g without tyres, been very pleased with them. Stung the wallet to the tune of £475.

Not sure about the weight but I know a few folk with Fulcrum Racing 3's who rate them as the best wheel for the money, at one point they could be had for about £350 which is ridiculous.
Talius Brute 05 Aug 2013

+1 to the Ksyrium Elite S, very nice upgrade wheels.
 Andrew W 05 Aug 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Have you looked at getting a set of hand build wheels as it possible to get a set weighing in at about 1400g for roughly £400.
 malk 05 Aug 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: dunno how many grams extra my wheels weigh, but it was under 50 quid for a pair of new shiny alloy 27 inchers. can't help thinking cyclists are being ripped off paying 100's for a wheel..
 Static 05 Aug 2013

Dura ace c24 clinchers are £600 and 1350g for the pair so lighter than Zipp 202s which are £1600. Not aero but you can't have everything.

JLS 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Talius Brute:

>"+1 to the Ksyrium Elite S, very nice upgrade wheels."

Only yesterday did I talk myself out of a pair off these... Damn you guys.

No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them.
No, I don't NEED them...

But I do WANT them!
Thanks for the tips guys, but it looks like I'll have to take the tyre etc of my current wheels to see how much weight I will save with new wheels. By the way I'm thinking of swapping my Ridley Compact Alu frameset for a Dolan Tuono

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...