UKC

road bike frame protection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 07 Aug 2013
Ive got my lovely new road hit. Its a lovely white frame, Ive only been out around 20 miles or so. The nearside chain stay is covered in black oil. Is it possible (and within the rules) to get a cover for the chain stay? To save the frame
 Mike Highbury 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember: I thought Pashleys only came in black
 martinph78 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember: I've got an old inner tube wrapped around mine, stops any chain slap noise when I'm belting down through the woods :p

You can get clear tape called heli tape on ebay, tough, cut to size, and clear so you'll not see it. Don't know what rules you're on about but can't see how that would be illegal. Also might be good to put the bottom of your downtube to protect against stone chips.
 Enty 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember:

Yes. But it sounds like you've too much lube on the chain. Clean it and start again.

E
 Enty 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember:

My bike is white and I don't have this problem.

E
OP goldmember 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Enty: was thinking this but the chain and cassette are both quite shiny and dont seem to have much oil. I might just start carrying wet wipes and clean ad hoc
 woolsack 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember:
> The nearside chain stay is covered in black oil. Is it possible (and within the rules) to get a cover for the chain stay? To save the frame

How do you manage to get oil on the nearside? There is no chain that side
 balmybaldwin 07 Aug 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to goldmember)
> [...]
>
> How do you manage to get oil on the nearside? There is no chain that side

Depends what country the op is riding in.
 andy 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember: you can get helicopter tape (?) that is clear and protects your frame - doesn't stop it getting mucky though - still have to clean it.
 stewieatb 08 Aug 2013
In reply to woolsack:

"Nearside" has no meaning on a bike. He means drive-side.

OP: As mentioned, tough transparent sticky stuff is available, and is within the Rules AFAIK (in fact, probably probably encouraged under Rule 65 and the Principle of Silence). It does sound like there's too much lube/wrong type on though. My silver-grey town hack bike only gets a very light coating of crud on the chainstay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...