UKC

I have sore goolies and need a saddle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Aug 2013
My bike saddle hurts around my front nether area and I'm not too chuffed about this, obviously. My current saddle goes up and down in height but that is all.

There is no way to adjust the angle of the dangle, so what can I replace my seat with for under £40, more if possible, that will help a casual peddlist such as myself?
 Escher 08 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Charge spoon. Pretty good and much cheaper than 40 notes. Although i am surprised you can't adjust the angle on yours, thought all saddles could?
interdit 08 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> My bike saddle hurts around my front nether area and I'm not too chuffed about this, obviously. My current saddle goes up and down in height but that is all.
>
> There is no way to adjust the angle of the dangle, so what can I replace my seat with for under £40, more if possible, that will help a casual peddlist such as myself?

The angle of the saddle is adjusted by the seat clamp at the top of the seatpost.

- Highly unlikely that yours does not do this, and a problem if you buy a different saddle as no saddle I know of has the adjustment built in.
- Quite likely that this is not the answer to your problem, especially if looking to drop the nose of the saddle.

Have a look at my post on this thread, http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=558121&v=1#x7435657
Despite being in relation to a 'female' saddle all the points are still relevant.

Chances are that either:
- the saddle width is incorrect and you are not sitting on your sit bones.
- the saddle angle is wrong (often too nose down - should be neutral).
- the saddle shape is wrong and you need a new one.
- the bike set up is wrong and the setback of the saddle or saddle height needs changing.
- the bike is the wrong size.

Have fun with everyone recommending their favourite saddle, that happens to fit their arse.

ps. these issues only really start to come to the fore as more miles are put in. Glad to see you are out on your bike
 bluebealach 08 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: With a decent jock-strap they might not 'dangle' as much - job done at a fraction of the price!!
Removed User 08 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It may be that your saddle needs tilted slightly forward, which is a function of your seatpost, so if you can't do that then a new post may be the answer. Saddle comfort is in the arse of the beholder, so it's impossible to recommend one, apart from a Brooks which will mould to your shape like a good pair of leather boots.

Or, you could tape one of these on to your seat:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/baby/dp/B0039L133A
interdit 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Reposting this after Interdit's post - there are saddles out there, like the Adamo ones for instance, that alleviate pressure on blokes' nuts by being structured differently. They're another option to add to Interdit's conclusive post.

But, it does depend on our Lemming describing exactly his problem.

'Nut' soreness is actually rare - No cyclists sit on their nuts, unless they are really in a bizarre position.
Perineum pressure is not rare, and can cause serious long term issues.

So, really depends on what the Lemming comes back with and how much he wants to share

The Adamo are becoming more popular. Which is good if it sorts the issue properly.
interdit 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserThe Lemming)
>
> It may be that your saddle needs tilted slightly forward

or, counter-intuitively, backwards into a neutral position (Unless it is already nose-to-the-sky)..

People often tilt the nose down to ease pressure on the 'front bits'.
This means the sit bones are now resting on a forward sloping surface.
The tendency is for the hips to roll forwards over the sit bones in the down-slope direction. This puts more pressure on the front bits!
It also can cause shoulder, elbow, wrist, neck and upper back ache - as the body tilts forwards a lot of weight falls on the arms and upper back rather than on the sit bones.

> which is a function of your seatpost, so if you can't do that then a new post may be the answer.

Never seen a fixed post. If they exist (and i'm not saying they don't) then I am stunned and am in total agreement about getting a new post before a new saddle.

> Saddle comfort is in the arse of the beholder, so it's impossible to recommend one,

Round of applause. Won't stop people recommending saddle though.

> apart from a Brooks which will mould to your shape like a good pair of leather boots.

If not your arse will mould to it I believe

> Or, you could tape one of these on to your seat:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/baby/dp/B0039L133A

Ha ha.
OP The Lemming 09 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Morning all.

Thank you for the replies so far. I would like to explain that my saddle is at a fixed angle when connected to my seat-post. The only way that I can adjust the saddle is by moving the seat-post closer or further away from the bike frame. There is no method to adjust the saddle in any other direction or angle.

As for the discomfort. Imagine a line between Mr Starfish and the bag containing the family jewels. My pain is just before the jewels along that line.

Is there a correct height of saddle and handle bars in relation to me on a hybrid?
In reply to The Lemming:

What's the make and model of your bike? Or else a link to a photo of it please.

I've not seen an unadjustable seat post for some time, if ever, on an adult bike.

ALC
 JLS 09 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

On returning to cycling after a long lay off, I found a saddle with a hole in the middle solved this problem. I thought it was just a gimmic but no, it really does work.
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> As for the discomfort. Imagine a line between Mr Starfish and the bag containing the family jewels. My pain is just before the jewels along that line.

That's the perineum.

>
> Is there a correct height of saddle and handle bars in relation to me on a hybrid?

There's an *optimum* saddle height, whether it's *correct* is personal preference. Here's a link - http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-... Handlebar height is often subject to fashion - go with whatever's comfortable, having the top of the stem level with the saddle is a good starting point. Either use spacers or a stem with a different angle to achieve this.

I've seen a method ascribed to Greg Lemond but probably much earlier where you judge the set-up of your bike by sit on it in your normal cycling position and looking at the relationship between the top bar of the handlebars and the front hub. Ideally the handlebars should obscure the hub. If the hub is visible in front of the handlebar then the setup is too small and vice versa.

ALC
 Radioactiveman 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

I heard from a brooks lover the other good feature is that the saddle doesnt cause overheating of the arse due to it being just a piece of leather.

overheating = sweat/sore skin -> saddle sores

Not the issue in this case but certainly a problem for some people

gear boy 09 Aug 2013
In reply to interdit:
> The Adamo are becoming more popular. Which is good if it sorts the issue properly.

Tried a few test versions of the Adamo saddles or "rampant rabbit" as I affectionally dubbed them

Set up is completely different to "normal" saddles, sit bone pressure is increased so you need to toughen up there, also because of full split nose they are quite wide at the front

missus liked hers and got one, I decided against

to the OP,

really need to see a photo of this saddle/post, if you really cannot tilt the saddle then a new post may be the solution, what bike is it?
In reply to a lakeland climber:
>
> I've not seen an unadjustable seat post for some time, if ever, on an adult bike.
>
> ALC

The seat-post does indeed slide up and down the length of the bike frame of my Ridgeback Comet.
In reply to gear boy:

I'm out of town at the moment, as I am stopping over while my pooch is at an Animal Hospital. When I get home and have time, then I'll take a photo of the saddle.

Cheers muchly
 PeterM 09 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but the Charge Spoon is great for not a lot of cash. However, get your sit-bones measured and get the right width of saddle. If the width is wrong (too narrow) then you'll crush your bits and be numb for ages. Another idea may be to get a Specialized or Selle Italia saddle with a cut-out. Usually not cheap and you get the satisfaction of paying for something that's not there
In reply to The Lemming:

Sorry, I meant that the saddle can be moved forward and backward on top of the seat post and that it can be adjusted in angle.

Looking at shots of your bike on the Ridgeback site, the saddle has the usual rails so it's likely to be able to be moved forwards and backwards. In the head of the seat post there'll be a single bolt with Allen Key head pointing up towards the saddle. Loosening this a little bit will let you move the saddle forwards and backwards. Loosening it some more will let you adjust the angle/tilt of the saddle. Hard to explain but the clamp holding the saddle isn't made of two flat pieces of metal, that on the seatpost is convex and the upper bit is concave, they also usually have a set of ridges across them so they mesh and don't move once you've tightened the bolt. By rotating the clamp you adjust the angle of the saddle. One of those things that five minutes with an Allen Key will make clear.

ALC
OP The Lemming 10 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Mr Thicky thick from Thick thick Land reporting for duty.

I thought that the seat post just held the saddle but how was I supposed to know that it would tilt up and down as well?

Thank you everybody for banging my head against brick wall over this one.
 barbeg 10 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

....I also have sore goolies and need a ride......

ANdy
Removed User 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

I had thought of suggesting that the problem may lie in his goolies needing emptying rather than any issue with the saddle, but thought better of mentioning it, so I haven't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...