UKC

Cheapest way to get to Zermatt from Geneva Airport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stujbro 11 Aug 2013
Anybody know of any minibus type operators that go to Zermatt like Alpybus that goes to Chamonix?

Just checked train fares there and the price is more than a third more expensive than this time last year!
 colina 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Stujbro: hire a car from Geneva..bookin from the uk on t net seems to be cheaper than arriving at the airport.gives you the opportunity to get some sightseeing too .just an idea !
 Malt_Loaf 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Stujbro: I took the train from Zermatt to Geneva about a month ago and can confirm it's fairly pricey...and long/boring! We didn't come across any Alpybus type companies and felt we had to use the train.

ML.
Stujbro 11 Aug 2013
In reply to colina: I had that idea too but i cant find out info on toll charges on the route, plus we would have to park the car outside zermatt i think in Tasch, not sure if there is a cost involved there although i suspect there is. needs more investigation
Stujbro 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf: Yea was it 97 francs by any chance? Thats the price im getting online via the SBB site. I took the same journey basically to Saas last year and it was around 60 francs all in. I had no discounts or anything like that, seems like a huge price hike
 Malt_Loaf 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Stujbro: I couldn't tell you exactly, after spending time in Zermatt I'd given up stressing about money (what an expensive place?!), anyway- it was around 100francs so 97francs could well have been the exact fare.

ML.
Stujbro 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf: The online quotes are more than likely correct i suppose. I better just suck it up and pay the money! Thanks for your help
 EwanR 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Stujbro: It's worth looking at the offers the SBB have for foreign visitors:

http://www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/

For you the best option would be the "Swiss transfer ticket" which is an return ticket to/from your point of entry in Switzerland to your destination. The price is CHF 135 so a fair saving on 97 each way.

There's also the "Swiss card" which is the transfer ticket plus a half price card valid for one month for CHF 195. If you're planning on using trains and cablecars during the stay it might be worth it.
 Gawyllie 11 Aug 2013
In reply to Stujbro: we're just back. no tolls on the roads, all you need is a viginette which will be on the car already if you hire it in Switzerland
Stujbro 11 Aug 2013
In reply to EwanR: That Swiss card looks great but am i correct in saying that if i purchase the swiss card i dont have to pay for my train journeys between geneva and zermatt on top of the swiss card price? i just show the swiss card to the conductor presumably
 BruceM 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Stujbro:
Correct. Just fill out the date of use on the day you use it. One day (only) of free travel from port to destination. Another one day (only) of free return on the day you return. Buy from London Swiss Travel Centre before you go. They are v helpful if you need to clarify conditions. Have used these every trip to S over the last 10 years or so.
 Neil Williams 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Don't see what's boring about Geneve-Aeroport to Brig. It's about the most scenic train journey I've done. Every time I do it I'm transfixed by the scenery the whole way, apart from the first bit as far as Lausanne which is a bit normal.

Suggestion: don't travel at night, you miss it all

Neil
Stujbro 12 Aug 2013
In reply to BruceM: Thanks, i went with the swiss card, between train journeys and half fares on 4 cable car trips ive saved roughly 100 quid. Sweet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...