UKC

Rock Simond - rubbish or not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 12 Aug 2013
Hi,

I am totally beginner rock climber. However, I decided to buy some gear so I would save some money instead of paying few quids every time I visit the climbing centre. Also, another centre has a bouldering wall but no rent services at all. I think casual trainers (definitely not hiking boots) will not be suitable for climbing at all. Am I right?

However, the local centre has some Red Chilly shoes to rent and I found that the best size was 11 for me. I usually wear 8.5 and the staff gave me size 10 initially. Shoes sized 10 were almost okay, but after one wall I opted for larger ones as the fingers started to pain. Hence, I have no idea what size would I need and I can not buy on internet. As a student, I can not afford so expensive brand new shoes sold in most of stores. So I found Rock Simond shoes for 30 pounds: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rock-id_8230651.html . Still slightly expensive, but definitely affordable. Would they be okay for beginner to climb indoors? 2 years guarantee looks appealing to me and hopefully they would last at least this period. Talking of comfort/performance, I guess they will do their job and as a beginner, I will not feel that much difference.

P.s. If someone has usable rock climbing shoes in Glasgow and would be happy to let me try them on before buying, I would consider buying second hand ones. Give me a shout!
 Nigel Thomson 12 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP: Pish poor. 1/10
 Aigen 12 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP: They are crap. sorry.
the real slim shady 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Aigen: the climb X crux shoes in go outdoors might be on interest to you, they are £40 and don't seem too bad.

HTH
woody0606 12 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP: What every you buy, make sure you try them on. And bear in mind that they'll probably stretch a little.
OP PPP 12 Aug 2013
In reply to the real slim shady: Thanks, missed Go Outdoors shop. I will possibly give it a try as additional 10 pounds aren't that bad. Any other suggestions or comments about Climb X Crux?
OP PPP 12 Aug 2013
In reply to woody0606:
Thanks, I will!
the real slim shady 12 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP: definitely try them on, and make sure you lace them up, and try both feet on. apart from that, it is billed as a beginner/budget level shoe and is performs pretty well for that label, you could do a lot worse for your first pair of rock shoes I reckon.
 Nigel Thomson 12 Aug 2013
In reply to the weegy:
> (In reply to PPP) Pish poor. 1/10

As in the troll not the boots!

Timmd 12 Aug 2013
In reply to the weegy:

<turns on Scottish mode>

Ach, weegy, wheesht!

<turns off Scottish mode>

()
 jfmchivall 12 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP:

Go Outdoors and Decathlon both stock cheap, relatively comfortable climbing shoes for £30 - £50. Try several different styles to see what works best for your foot shape. Most shops have a wee wall with climbing holds on so you can try the shoes on the way they were meant to be worn - they're not for walking in!

I personally find Red Chilli shoes uncomfortable and awkward to climb in, but get on well with the shape of Evolv and 5.10. Other people's feet are different. I haven't tried Decathlon's Simond brand.

As to sizing, climbing shoes are designed to be worn without socks. You ought to get a pair that is the same as your normal shoe size, but as the fit is so close, many beginners find this uncomfortable which is why climbing wall hire shoes are often given out at least one or two sizes large. After a few sessions climbing, most people find that they prefer the closer fit as their feet will be better supported, and having no dead space between the toe and the end of the shoe means that feet stay on small edges without slopping off. It is normal for toes to be slightly bent when wearing climbing shoes but the shoes should not be painful to wear, and certainly should not cut into the achilles tendon at the heel.

£30 is definitely the bottom end of the price range for climbing shoes - most are now at least £65/pair. After 15 years of climbing, I just get ones I know I will find comfortable to wear for long days as I know the aggressively curved banana shoe styles won't get me up anything harder - if I want to improve my grade I simply need to get fitter - and I woudn't normally pay more than £50. For the last couple of years I've been wearing Evolv Defys and they do the job for me.
OP PPP 13 Aug 2013
In reply to jfmchivall:
I am very grateful for your answer, jfmchivall!

I have been hill-walking in different mountains across Europe and now I know what I need for hill-walking. However, rock climbing is entirely fresh hobby for me.

Now it is clear why I needed +2.5 size larger shoes - I indeed had mid-weight trekking socks to make sure I don't get any blisters with never tested shoes before. I am glad I haven't taken heavy weight Sealskinz that day... I will still wear socks for the next time I go to the centre as doing otherwise sounds a little bit unhygienic.

Thank you for advice and I will visit Go Outdoors as soon as possible.
 Martin Bennett 13 Aug 2013
In reply to jfmchivall:

I climb (or have climbed!) at the same standards as you show on your profile (apart from indoor 7a, upon which congratulations!) for 48 years so far and agree with everything you say except "climbing shoes are designed to be worn without socks" - I don't believe they are, you know. It's just that most people seem to think it's better without. I can't imagine why. I find my feet are much more comfortable with a pair of the thinnest socks I can find. Furthermore it stops that horrible slippy squeaky feeling when it's hot, it's warmer when it's cold and, if you have smelly feet (of course I don't!) it helps keep your rock shoes more socially acceptable. People used to comment on it back in the eighties - I'd retort "If it's good enough for Ron Fawcett . . . . ."!

So, PPP, my advice is get a shoe that fits closely but not too closely (no bent toes for me). I think "it should touch all of your foot but hurt none of it" is a good maxim. Good luck in your choice.
 jfmchivall 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Glad to be of help PPP!

Martin - I often wear socks on mountain crag routes but don't like them for indoor climbing or warm days out. I find the inner lining of most modern shoes has the same wicking and padding properties as a thin sock.

It's been a while since I climbed 7a - that was when I had time to go to the wall three times a week every week for a couple of months.
 Timmd 13 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP:
> (In reply to jfmchivall)
> I am very grateful for your answer, jfmchivall!
>
> I have been hill-walking in different mountains across Europe and now I know what I need for hill-walking. However, rock climbing is entirely fresh hobby for me.
>
> Now it is clear why I needed +2.5 size larger shoes - I indeed had mid-weight trekking socks to make sure I don't get any blisters with never tested shoes before. I am glad I haven't taken heavy weight Sealskinz that day... I will still wear socks for the next time I go to the centre as doing otherwise sounds a little bit unhygienic.
>
> Thank you for advice and I will visit Go Outdoors as soon as possible.

http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/2012-yeti-xc-mountain-bike-sock-p-20190.htm...

These socks are very thin, you might find they're just right for helping you get a close fit and staying hygienic too.

These are out of stock, but other cycling socks are thin too.
 Martin Bennett 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to PPP)
> [...]
>
> http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/2012-yeti-xc-mountain-bike-sock-p-20190.htm...
>
> These socks are very thin, you might find they're just right for helping you get a close fit and staying hygienic too.
>
> These are out of stock, but other cycling socks are thin too.

The thin socks I use come from eg TK Maxx or Matalan for instance - they sell for about £1.99 for 3 pairs. The trainer, ankle type ones without legs are quite good. Be careful about the colour though - too dark and they look terrible, too pale and you're in danger of being thought to wear white socks!

In reply to Martin Bennett: Blimey Martin, I never took you to be a slave to fashion.
In reply to jfmchivall:

You have a point about modern shoes - I've got a pair of 5.10 Newtons not stretched yet so doing without socks and finding them quite comfy. Too early to say whether I can change the habit of nearly 50 years climbing tho' - can't teach a dinosaur new tricks (to mix metaphors)!
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> (In reply to Martin Bennett) Blimey Martin, I never took you to be a slave to fashion.

Al - you amaze me - there I was imagining you'd been in admiration of my sartorial elegance from Kalymnos to Morocco!

Taurig 14 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP:

Back on topic, those particular shoes you linked to I wouldn't touch; you can just tell by looking at the rubber they won't be providing much grip. However, anything above that in the Simond range could be worth a shout. I've got some £40 ones and prefer them to the budget Scarpas I initially bought. I don't climb hard enough to need top end shoes though.
OP PPP 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Taurig:
Thank you. I'll probably try Climb X Crux firstly and then I will see.
OP PPP 17 Aug 2013
In reply to PPP:
Yes, finally bought Climb X Crux. They were pretty much perfect on my feet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...