UKC

Midi Pyrenees at Christmas....likely to be any snow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
on a far off mountain 12 Aug 2013
I've been looking at skiing in the Midi Pyrenees area over the Christmas holiday. Is it in any way snow reliable at that time of year? There doesn't seem to be much information on it (possibly being a bit thick with my google searching). I have seen a couple of websites say they get more snow than the Alps...should I believe that?! The skiing I'm after is downhill and good cross country, we usually go to Norway so a 20km cross country skiing trail like is often found in the Alps doesn't constitute good skiing in my book Any suggestions for areas to ski around there would be gratefully received...wanders off dreaming of wine, good food and lots of snow mmmm........
 john arran 13 Aug 2013
In reply to on a far off mountain:

While Christmas is a bit early to ensure great skiing the main resorts are invariably open snd running by then. For Downhill Ax Bonascre is a big and varied resort with something for everyone but doesn't compare to some of the larger Alpine resorts in terms of scope or reliability. Not far up to Andorra if conditions are lean though. There are 2 big cross-country resorts here (pisted for Nordic & skating). Beille is one of the biggest in France and at 1800m+ it's pretty reliable. And then there's the ski touring.
What you've read about there being more snow than the Alps will have referred to last winter, which was a wonderfully freak season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...