UKC

Is it worth me fitting new tyres?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 13 Aug 2013
I've done about 2500 miles on the Michelin Dynamic tyres that came with my bike (a Bianchi Nirone 7). A long while ago I bought a pair of Pro Race 3's (this was before the 4's came out) and said 'next time I get a puncture I'll swap to these'. I've still not had a puncture, so haven't bothered swapping. I've checked the tyres for any defects and they seem fine, but I'm wondering whether there would be a noticable performance difference if I swapped them? I'm doing about 100-150 miles a week at the moment and have a 100 mile Sportive in a month (my first century and first Sportive ride) and wonder if its worth swapping the tyres now (ie. it will make a definite difference to how fast I can go), or whether I should just wear out the Dynamics and then stick on the Race 3's. Any opinions? Cheers.
OP Mr Fuller 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Any advice? Or should I just stop being lazy and put on the new tyres and find out...
 nniff 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Probably the only way to find out!

I've got 4s - I like them in the sense that they're round, haven't dumped me on my backside on a corner yet, they're lighter than their OEM predecessors and haven't had a flat yet.

A change is as good as a rest. Best to get them fitted before they perish!
 sleavesley 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: some tyres come with a wear indicator. That is usually when I change mine.
Also check the rims t
O see how much wear there is on them or if you need some new rims/wheels.
 Saintly 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Wow 2500 miles is good going, i have only had 2500k out of my Schwalbe's. Have they flattened off across the main part of the tread?
 Hat Dude 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I'd definitely put on the new tyres in time for the Sportive, probably a week or so before so I'd know they're ok.
Old tyres are more prone to give problems & it'd be a shame to spoil the ride.
OP Mr Fuller 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Saintly: Yeah, they're definitely flatter than they were, but there's no sign of thin rubber or the underlying threads. The tyres were always a bit rounded compared to some of the more high-performance ones, and the Michelin website says they're built for durability, so that makes sense.
 Saintly 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Thats fair enough but as suggested if you have a biggish ride coming up and a spare set to put on I would sacrifice the ten minutes to swap them over.
Onece your other tyres are off you can give them a proper inspection and if they have some life left swap them back after wards.
OP Mr Fuller 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Saintly: Good shout. Cheers all, I'll swap them over. If it turns out my current tyres are shot then I've saved myself a potential flat (or worse) in the middle of nowhere, and if they're not then I'll stick them back on for winter training rides.
 Guy 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: As has been said Pro3's for summer and speed and the Dynamics back on for winter debris.
 ablackett 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Not the right thread, but I tried coating the inside of the new tyre and the outside of the tube with talc before fitting it last time and it is so easy compared to just stretching it on and pinging it over with leavers. Worth a try if you are stressing it is a big job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...