UKC

Outdoor experience..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jono_nwk 19 Aug 2013
So I want to get out on some rocks.. Only have climbing shoes, harness, belay device and caribiner.. Wondered if anyone out there could maybe take me out? Teach me some basics? And will I need more gear? From notts area so the peak would be ideal? Cheers!
 Joe Brown 23 Aug 2013
Get yourself on the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI) website and find yourself an instructor, that’s what they are trained to do. It’s going to cost, but they will tailor the day to suit your needs.
 jkarran 23 Aug 2013
In reply to jono_nwk:

Have you looked into your local clubs? The BMC website lists affiliated clubs, Google will find the page quicker than I can.

jk
 Team BMC 27 Aug 2013
In reply to jono_nwk: The BMC have received some Sport England funding to provide subsidies on some indoor to outdoor courses that might be of interest to you. Take a look at the following link for more details:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climb-outside-how-to-start-rock-climbing-outdoors
 machine 30 Aug 2013
In reply to jono_nwk:

just out of interest, where are you based?
jono_nwk 31 Aug 2013
In reply to machine: newark near notts..
 jamescook 31 Aug 2013
In reply to jono_nwk: hello.... I know your pain trying to find some fellow climber. I have been climbing for a year on and off. But only at low grades. I know all the basics. Yes you do need more kit however a fellow partner may have enough kit to get you going. Myself like I said easy grades and always looking to improve. I have a full rack and more with ropes. If your interested drops us a email. Mainly free every second weekend. As I have learnt on my outing. It's all about having fun.
jono_nwk 01 Sep 2013
In reply to jamescook: nice one.. Def interested in getting out n about.. Where do u climb?
 dl_wraith 12 Sep 2013
In reply to jono_nwk:

The way I managed to get out on real rock to do some trad after much time at the indoor walls top roping was to find a local club and e-mail them to see if they were happy for me to come along with them to a local crag. They were more than happy for me to attend despite my lack of kit and experience and were kind enough to have me second some routes on their gear and ask lots of questions about different belay setups, skills and ropework.

They were so inclusive and patient that I'll definately be climbing with them again. I'd definately recommend giving a local club a try - so far I've found that Climbers are a very friendly and inclusive group and it costs nothing to ask.

Alternatively local indoor walls sometimes run outdoor taster sessions at local crags. Look out for those.
 tallsteve 12 Sep 2013
In reply to jono_nwk:
Kit: Harness, a few screw gates, belay plate, a few nuts (get a mixed set), a couple of tapes. That way the leader has enough kit to protect you and him on stances and still have gear left for the climb. That's about half a rack. Add a rope and some friends and more tapes to your Christmas list and you'll be on your way to a full rack.

Carry the rope to the crag, offer petrol money. Provide chocolate/a pint afterwards/passable conversation/crap jokes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...