UKC

Bike Carriers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking at getting a roof mounted bike carrier for my new car (Volvo V70)
I've got a set of roof bars that fit the car, but I wondered, if I get a Thule bike rack, will it fit generic, non-thule roof bars? or are they specific to their own roof bars?

also, does anyone have any strong recomendations, or cautions, about makes of roof carriers?

and finally...anyone selling one they don't want anymore, rather than handing my money over to the big evil corporations!?

Ta,

CB
 Radioactiveman 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Cookie (North East Wales MC):

Thule 591. will fit any type of roof bar . It clamps around the bars

http://tinyurl.com/mpn4gom thule 591 ,£63.50 delivered on ebay

Fits well and lockes in positionon the bars and locks onto the bike
 Bobbsy 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:

The 591 is really good and easy to use...but worth watching this!

youtube.com/watch?v=0Yu4vEsD9WA&
 LastBoyScout 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Bobbsy:

Always go fork-mounted - the Thule Outride 561 prevents that problem, although you'll need a lock for the back wheel.

I got my bike carriers from here - they used to do a deal on wheel bags if you bought the carrier:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range.php?flt3=1...
 Bobbsy 20 Aug 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yeap, better idea, I thought of it a little too late though!
 tjin 20 Aug 2013

Make sure you get one with a sturdy mount, so you won't loose your bike during an emergency stop/accident: youtube.com/watch?v=GYoYy3jhxGw& (german)

And don't forget the height of everything!

Nothing will stop a thief. They will hacksaw through the frame or other part of the bike that is securing it. Steal what is left and ebay the components even if it meant snapping the forks off a bike

Do not under any cirumstances leave a bike unattended even if it is locked on at the forks or with a gold secure lock

If you go to the pub sit where you can see the car. Drive home and if a car is behind you do a loop before stopping outside your house. Put it straight inside the house/shed wherever. Put your strava on private and get a shit old bike for nipping to the shops/pub

Fork mount are also a pita if you have multiple bikes/mates i.e 9m QR,15mm ,20mm or even 22mm axle. You end up having to put filthy wheels in the car.

End of the day go for a rack that is most convenient to use and don't leave the bike alone on the car.

Ridge 20 Aug 2013

Sound advice. Going back to the 591, I can't fault it, plus might be worth noting it also comes with T track fittings, which are a lot neater and kinder to the roof paintwork than the clamps, if the bars take that sort of fitting.
 balmybaldwin 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Ridge:

I would second the idea of a 561 fork mount, security (theft) implications are the same, but it allows for carbon bikes (you shouldn't clamp the frame).

Having just bought 2 and done a 2000mile round trip to the alps) I can say they are definetly the most secure means of transporting a bike I've found so far (having tried 591 style and towbar mounted in the past). And it takes a matter of 30seconds to swap adaptors if you need to carry 15/20mm through axle bikes (although you do need to buy a 15mm adapter if required as the only come with standard (9mm) or 20mm adapters)

They will attach to pretty much any roof bar, but as said above the T connectors are the easiest & neatest to fit.

Why shouldnt you clamp a carbon frame ?

The clamp holds the bike in place and shouldnt be used to crush it,granted it doe require a bit of care/common sense

If any issue you can put a piece of rubber or foam in place to prevent scratching of the frame or if the tube is in between ratchet clicks on the clamp

balmybaldwin 20 Aug 2013
> (In reply to Cookie (North East Wales MC))
>
> Why shouldnt you clamp a carbon frame ?
>
> The clamp holds the bike in place and shouldnt be used to crush it,granted it doe require a bit of care/common sense
>
> If any issue you can put a piece of rubber or foam in place to prevent scratching of the frame or if the tube is in between ratchet clicks on the clamp

It's not the clamping per se (although overtightening would be a problem) it's the effect of a torsional load on the clamp i.e. if you brake hard then there is a twisting force applied at the clamp which can exert a large force on a small area of the carbon. All frame manufacturers to my knowledge include this in their carbon care advice.

For the same reason a bike work stand shouldn't be used to clamp a carbon frame/seatpost (most good shops use a spare ally seatpost for this purpose)
In reply to balmybaldwin:

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...