UKC

Den Lane - New Ownership

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 22 Aug 2013
Den Lane is under new ownership (has been for the last 18 months or so).

The owners were very amenable when they popped up to see us the other evening, stating they had no problems with climbers using the venue, but wanted to know if we were 'insured'.

Just a heads up really to be polite etc.
In reply to Removed User: You managed to get through a conversation politely? Sorry, this must be a troll...
Removed User 22 Aug 2013
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: I was indeed polite, although I did show them my scants, having managed to split my work trousers severely on the move round the overlap on Palis Glide...
 thedatastream 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Showing your balls again? This is becoming a habit.
 craig h 23 Aug 2013

I take it that's the section of the crag where climbing has always been permitted and not the section at the right hand end?
Removed User 24 Aug 2013
In reply to craig h: Yup!
In reply to Removed User: A simple, catch all response to this is to say "Yes, all climbers are members of the British Mountaineering Council who provide us with £10m public liability insurance". That usually does the trick. If they are asking that question they clearly have no understanding of the facts i.e that they have no liability in case of an accident.
 Neil Williams 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky:

That'd be a lie, though.

What you could say is to quote the BMC insurance but not say everyone had it.

Neil
Removed User 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky: We did precisely that...

I dropped Rick Gibbon an email with the owners phone number, thay suggested they might appreciate a chat with a BMC rep. Dunno if he picked it up?
 Neil Williams 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

(remember though the owner could well have Googled it and be reading here...)

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Neil Williams)
>
> (remember though the owner could well have Googled it and be reading here...)
>
That's exactly why I posted the advice on here in the way that I posted it, I'm ahead of you on that. My comment might have then encouraged them to consider that they might need to look into the issue a little deeper in order to satisfy themslves that they have zero liability. The answer I suggested people make is accurate for at least 70% of climbers according to the recent stats.

tony howard 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: interesting, we discovered it was up for grabs years ago, but BMC not interested. It seemed that the part of the quarry owned by the kennels-man doesn't extend quite as far to S as he claims. A chance to re-open some routes maybe?
 Tom Valentine 25 Aug 2013
In reply to tony howard:

Groove Direct would get a couple of stars. Scoop Arete would be at least E1.
 Offwidth 25 Aug 2013

Seems to me like ideal stuff for Rick's access bit at the Glossup BMC area meet in a few weeks time. He can add what to do about Rhododenrons in the Chew (especially Dovestones Main) as if Tony is right these buggers need removing from any routes ASAP before they swallow the crag. Sadly Moff and I will be in Yosemite...we have cleaned enough for the moment and need a proper climbing holiday.
 craig h 25 Aug 2013

That's good news, some good climbs in that area and fairly free of heather at the moment due to the huge fire 2 years ago.
 tony howard 25 Aug 2013
In reply to craig h: I think I gave you a sketch of where I though the boundary was, after pacing it out one dark night (and setting the dogs barking!).
Removed User 26 Aug 2013
In reply to tony howard: It would be very interesting if we could get a look at the map in the new owners' deeds!
 tony howard 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: why not ask him to save any future controversy. No reason he shouldn't oblige. If he owns the previously unregistered land that I got a map of and gave to Craig then I reckon the routes as far right as those above the old easy way down that went beneath Little Thing and Groove Direct and emerged at Avalanche Crack are all included. Only paced it out roughly though, so needs verifying.
 craig h 26 Aug 2013
Hi tony,

I didn't end up with the map, not sure who did? It can't be too hard to work out though and hopefully get some access to the banned section even if its just the first area with the good climbs Groove Direct, Scoop Arete, Kestrel Crack, Contortionists Crack and Double Corner.

It's a good looking wall, a fair distance from the kennels, can use the current access and wouldn't take too much effort to clean up again.

It's good to see Den Lane being used a lot more since the various clean-ups that have gone on here, the rubbish also seems to be no longer being dumped here making it a pleasant venue these days especially as the nights are starting to draw in.
 Offwidth 28 Aug 2013
In reply to craig h:

I've put Rick onto this. He told me it had all been investigated before but he would re-check.
 tony howard 04 Sep 2013
In reply to craig h:
>It can't be too hard to work out though and hopefully get some access to the banned section even if its just the first area with the good climbs Groove Direct, Scoop Arete, Kestrel Crack, Contortionists Crack and Double Corner.
It's good to see Den Lane being used a lot more since the various clean-ups that have gone on here, the rubbish also seems to be no longer being dumped here making it a pleasant venue these days especially as the nights are starting to draw in.

>>

hi, as you will know, there was a useful 'Easy Way Down' through that section, passing below the routes. I reckon it's just out of Kennelman's land. Could be wrong though. It was neck deep in razor-wire brambles when I negotiated it in the dark to check where the 'new' land extended to. The routes there are (were) good. Those between Two Slabs and Tartarus are good also - and as you know, Mick & I did a big clean-up job there. Also there's a perfect place to rig a fixed abseil descent between there and Bisector as the old way down is long gone under undergrowth and quite dodgy. Needs doing if people are going to go to the top via Tartarus etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...