UKC

Totem & Totem Basic Cams, Any feedback?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 22 Aug 2013
Hi all,

Has anyone had much time using these at all yet?

They look great, and have been considering the Basics to go under/inbetween Dragon sizes 1, 2 & 3. Then considering the larger also.

Was just looking for any good and bad stories of experiences with them, seems the main advantage with the larger Totems is the large holding angle for downward flared cracks & the placing of only one pair of lobes, but then looking at their website they seem to point these out as the cams advantages, but then swiftly suggest you don't fall on them placed in either way. (now i understand the single lobe-pair placement is useful for Aid, but is that all they are good for?)

Guess i'm placing asking two questions:

1) Are the smaller Totems (the alien kind) good, useful for trad and recommended?
&
2) Are the Larger ones good, but are they more useful for Aid climbing rather than trad?
In reply to Steve nevers:

I bought a couple of the larger ones last year and I really like them (for trad). Super-flexible (some people hate that for some reason), nice action and they seem to seat really nicely in a very reassuring way. I've just bought one of the little ones on the basis that they've done such a good job with the big ones. It's only been placed about twice, but it looks pretty
 sean1 22 Aug 2013
Hi Steve,

I bought first the Totem size .80 Yellow about a year ago to try one out. I bought it as a 2nd cam for any awkward placements that the BD C3s wouldn't fit. It worked so good that it became the cam I was going for first. they have a really good feel about them and the smaller head does make a difference in placements. I feel the flexible stem is the way cams will end up going. Since then I have bought all the Totems except the smallest .65 Blue. I have just ordered the Totem basic size .65 Green but haven't received it yet. I am sure it will be as good as the other cams. They are well make. They make a great versatile trad cam. the two cam loading is something that I don;t use as I'm not into aid climbing but it is there in the background if for any reason that one day you have to call on it.
In reply to Steve nevers: I just dropped the bomb on all 5 totems and haven't even touched them yet! (they're at my flat but I'm not there...)

I can let you know next week how I get on.
 RoK 22 Aug 2013
I got the largest totem cam as its the same size as the red dragon from DMM, and that's the one with the most wear I have.
Great bit of kit, will be getting more in the smaller sizes when I have the funds.
 IainWhitehouse 22 Aug 2013
Hi Steve. I think something of the instructions has got lost in translation.

The Totem Totem can be placed on just two cams and both cams will be directly loaded so it will be the best two-cam placement you could hope for. BUT, it is still a two cam placement and the unit is not CE'd for that placement style, only for a conventional four-cam placement.

Because the two-cam mode doesn't have a CE, Totem are obliged to recommend it as for Aid climbing only (ie not for falling on).

With all cams in contact you absolutely can fall on them. They have superlative holding power, probably even more than Totem Basics.

To answer your question, are Totem Basics good for Trad. Absolutely. That's why we import them and why shops are selling out faster than Totem can make them for us.

Iain,
Teaboy, Beta Climbing Designs.
Totem UK distributors

Reach>Talent 22 Aug 2013
I have the blue totem cam, it is blooming wonderful. Buy one, then buy another to keep it company. It really is rather good.
 flaneur 22 Aug 2013
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

Iain, do Totem have plans to bring out larger sized cams than the 1.5?

IainWhitehouse 22 Aug 2013
In reply to flaneur:
> (In reply to IainWhitehouse)
>
> Iain, do Totem have plans to bring out larger sized cams than the 1.5?

Not that I'm aware of right now. The immediate focus is a Black Totem Basic. I haven't asked about longer term plans.
needvert 23 Aug 2013

Early days but I like my totems alot more than the same sized c4s
 rgold 23 Aug 2013
In reply to needvert: I've had a full set of Totems for more than a year. From blue up to green, they are paired on my rack with a BD C4 of the same size. I think the Totems are just plain better. If the BD will fit, I use it first because I know the Totem is much more versatile.
OP Steve nevers 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: Thanks everybody for your feedback, seems all positive so think i'll look at giving them a go. Cheers all.

P.S Iain, no offense meant by the way, was simply asking advice on what I thought looks like a good contender!
 mattrm 23 Aug 2013

I've got a Green one. Placed it a bit, but not fallen on it. So far it seems nice, handles nice and places well.

They are expensive compared to other cams. Also, they are a bit 'bulky' as they're quite wide compared to more standard cams.

I'm planning on getting a few more of them, probably a Yellow and a Red and some of the basics as well.
In reply to mattrm:

I've got a full set and they are my primary cams now (I keep the dragons to double up if needed)
 IainWhitehouse 23 Aug 2013
> (In reply to Steve nevers)
> P.S Iain, no offense meant by the way, was simply asking advice on what I thought looks like a good contender!

None taken! But a good reminder for me that I need to work on getting the message out there as Totem Totems are not intuitive for most people.

Cheers, Iain
 rgold 26 Aug 2013

>...seems the main advantage with the larger Totems is the large holding angle for downward flared cracks & the placing of only one pair of lobes...
>
> Guess i'm placing asking two questions:
>
> 1)...
> 2) Are the Larger ones good, but are they more useful for Aid climbing rather than trad?

The main advantage of the (non-Alien) Totems is neither of the features you mention.

The main advantage is their significantly narrower head width. If you climb on rock with irregular features, then the Totems are going to fit places other cams don't.

The next principal advantage, if we can believe the Totem engineering analysis, is that the cams have a higher holding power in all rock, not just downward-flared cracks. If true, this would be particularly useful for limestone, which has often proved slick enough to make ordinary cams rather unreliable. (I'm not aware of any head-to-head tests of pull-out loads, either in a jig or in real rock).

The next advantage is that the Totems walk less than other cams. This is because the stems are more flexible, and because of a small amount of play at the head, and finally because the narrower head width makes for shorter travel if the cam does pivot.

Usability in downward flares and in two-cam placements is of most interest to aid climbers, although free climbers will occasionally find opportunities to use these features when no protection from other devices would be available at all, realizing however that their pro is marginal.

The main drawback is bulkiness on the rack. Again, free-climbers aren't likely to have enough cams for this to matter much, but for a big aid crack it is a consideration.

The next potential drawback is relative fragility, especially in horizontal placements, in which all those wires and springs are going to be loaded over an edge. It is hard to believe that a BD C4 or equivalent isn't going to be burlier. But so far, my Totems have held up extremely well, and I hear the same thing from other Totem users.

The final issue is the perception by some that the cam is too flexible. If you place your cams by ramming them into a crack without triggering them, then this will probably be true for you. But if you use cams the way they are supposed to be used, then it has never been an issue for me.

In answer to Question 2, the larger ones are arguably the best cams on the market for all types of climbing, free and aid, and are most definitely not specialized aid pieces.

In reply to rgold:
>
> In answer to Question 2, the larger ones are arguably the best cams on the market for all types of climbing, free and aid, and are most definitely not specialized aid pieces.

Nicely summarised although none of the disadvantages you mention have been realised in my experience.
 newtonmore 30 Aug 2013
Go on Andy kirpatricks blogs he's hone a review on them
 spearing05 30 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: Totem or C3's for small cams? I have dragons down to the silver (0?) And a blue master cam. I often find what restricts small placements is width, hence thinking of the C3's?
 Aly 30 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: Aliens were the best small cams (below friend 1) available, with the slight caveat that they may have been together wrong in someone's garage and fall apart. The totem basics are identical, but almost certainly won't fall apart.
Buy some!
Green (friend 0.5) is probably the most useful size but green/blue/black are well worth getting as a set. I'm not sure if they're making yellow ones yet but my yellow alien is one of the most used cams on my day to day rack.

I can't comment on the other totem cams though.
needvert 31 Aug 2013

The smallest basic is only a tad smaller than the smallest regular totem, so I started this thread:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=551618

Sounded like regular totems were better.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 31 Aug 2013
In reply to spearing05: Totem's (of all models) don't really go that small. Id go with C3s.
 BnB 31 Aug 2013
In reply to remus: I have the yellow and red totem basics as a complement to dragons in the larger sizes. The basics lock into placements better than any cam I've used in my relatively short career. I'm not surprised there is a buzz about them. The narrow head width is a further benefit.
 spearing05 31 Aug 2013
In reply to remus: Cheers.
OP Steve nevers 12 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone foe the advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...