/ Large easy-angled slabs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave Kerr - on 25 Aug 2013
A wee while back I rode down the gabbro slabs from Coire Lagan on my bike and found it to be splendid fun.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for big areas of slab that might be rideable?

Anglewise, the Coire Lagan ones are about as steep as I'd like to go though doubtless others would take it further.

I've already checked out the Great Slab in Coire an Lochan (on foot) and whilst there is a possible line on the east side, the smoothness and wetness of the rock gave me the willies.

Suggestions and pisstake welcome.
Dangerous Dave - on 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr: etive slabs
thegoatstroker - on 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr: The Great Slab on Bowfell has been done by at least one local nutter.
Fat Bumbly2 - on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to thegoatstroker: There could be some scope in Glen Etive. The burns running off Meall nan Eun and Stob Coire Albanaich have very slabby beds running for some distance. While the headwall of the glen is probably to steep, lower down could go.
Scomuir on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Saw a couple of blokes on the slabs below Coir a Ghrunnda a couple of years back. They seemed to be enjoying it, although they hadn't enjoyed the push up.
paget - on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr: The Flatirons in boulder, colorado?
I once saw a guy come down the decent path off the back of the prow at Wilton on a mountain bike unicycle! Balls of steel!
Dave Kerr - on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to thegoatstroker:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) The Great Slab on Bowfell has been done by at least one local nutter.

That looks class.

Dave Hewitt - on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:
> (In reply to thegoatstroker) There could be some scope in Glen Etive. The burns running off Meall nan Eun and Stob Coire Albanaich have very slabby beds running for some distance. While the headwall of the glen is probably to steep, lower down could go.

Funnily enough I was in there (on foot) yesterday, on an Albannaich-Eun-Ghabhar round from Vic Bridge. I'm no mountain-biker, but some of the slabs on the south side of Albannaich could be ideal - I wandered up several hundred feet of them on the slope north of the Sron na h-Iolaire spur. Bit more awkward to reach than the Coire Lagan / Northern Corries / Bowfell options, but a grand bit of country.

Carolyn - on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:

I've seen a video of one of the big slabs in Avon Gorge, Bristol being ridden. Slippery limestone for added entertainment....
Gav M - on 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Riding from Victoria Bridge through to Loch Etive takes one over some impressive exposures of slick rock. Not quite Moab but reminiscent of it in a small way.
Siward on 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Gav M: Sgurr Ban?
Cheese Monkey - on 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Carolyn: The Ramp I expect? Morning Slab would be properly mental
In reply to Dave Kerr: You should go to the "Verdenssvaet" (World Slab), in Efjord - just round the corner from Stetind and down the road from Narvik. I walked up it a couple of weeks ago and see that it would be rather good fun on a bike. It's on a slightly different scale to most of the slabs in the UK I suspect!

http://singletracknarvik.com/efjord.html
https://www.google.fi/search?q=Verdenssvaet&client=firefox-a&hs=J1w&sa=X&rls=org.moz...
Durbs on 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr: Here you go Dave, this vid if it works should give you a good idea of the type of biking terrain in that part of Norway. Pretty big eh? :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6f7ucmzod5i45s/P1050861.MOV

petegunn on 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Durbs: Just watched the classic "Get a Grip" MBUK free vid, Avon slab action!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.