UKC

advice on 1st road bike please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SecretSquirrel 27 Aug 2013
Heya folks,
I've decided to join the lycra-clad masses and get a road bike. I'm still shopping around at the moment and don't know a huge amount about what to look for in a bike but carbon frames are definitely out of the budget at this stage.

I've been offered a good deal on a Raleigh Revenio Capri from a mate who works in a bike shop.
Anyone got one? Good / bad points on it or Raleigh bikes in general?

Advice on first bikes or important things to look out for welcomed.

Cheers,
Squirrel
 Strachan 27 Aug 2013
In reply to SecretSquirrel:
Just get an Allez Triple. Great first road bike and lots of granny gears for when it all gets a bit steep.
In reply to Strachan:
That might be what I borrowed over the weekend - it was a Specialized of some sort anyway.
Seemed a decent enough bike and was reasonably comfortable even though being on loan it obviously wasn't set up for me.
 balmybaldwin 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Strachan:

Problem with a triple is it never runs a sweet as a double, and cost a lot to convert. If your are worried about gearing, then go for a compact with a descent sized block (most decent shops will swap a standard double for a compact)

My advice to the OP would be to go and ride as many bikes in your price range as you can, as fit & feel are very individual. Read as much as you can in terms of reviews (remembering often bike mags etc are paid to give good reviews so look online for user reviews too) If a carbon frame is out of the price range, consider a frame with a carbon fork as this will take a lot of the road buzz away, which is a great improvement on longer rides.

Also consider getting something second hand, there's an awful lot of people who spend £1500 and then ride the bike a few times before deciding its not for them.

At the lower end, the Boardman bikes they sell at halfords are good value (get someone who knows what they are doing to check it over for you as Halfords haven't got a good reputation for setting the bike up correctly), as are ribble and planet x (both on-line sales only).

Spend your money on a good frame rather than a mediocre one with better wheels, as the wheels are easier and cheaper to upgrade at a later date when you get into it.

Keep some cash back for a descent set of shorts, and shoes/pedals, helmet etc.
In reply to balmybaldwin: Need to have a think about gearing. One thing I did notice with the Specialized over the weekend was that although it was low enough for the uphills it felt like I maxed out the top gear on all the downhills and I'm pretty sure I wasn't going exceptionally fast cos I'm a bit of scaredy cat on the bike.

Haven't looked into second hand yet - haven't ruled it out but really don't know enough about what to look for at this stage.

Re helmets, other than the velominati rules about not looking like a numpty with the "wrong" kit is there actually much benefit to a road-specific helmet?
 balmybaldwin 27 Aug 2013

Not really, for efficiency they now say go for a non vented helmet, but most riders I think prefer the comfort and cooling of the vents.

Most standard helmets have removable visors to meet the rules!
 sleavesley 27 Aug 2013
In reply to SecretSquirrel: have a look at ribbles latest offering with tiagra for 599 that will be hard to beat.
 Strachan 27 Aug 2013
The compact is a pretty solid suggestion, though of course you can't always get quite as low. It is worth trying bikes out, but at this end of the range I guess not everywhere will let you take them out for a ride, though friends etc can of course let you try theirs.
Where are you based?
 Strachan 27 Aug 2013
I also agree with the carbon fork suggestion (the Allez will have this, as it is fairly standard on big-brand bikes now). As a first road bike it is probably a case of finding a bike with a frame geometry that is comfortable, and components of Shimano Sora or better.
 jonnie3430 28 Aug 2013

One of my +1's at the moment is a Decathlon Triban 3 as it is getting good reviews from the roadie crowd and costs £300. If you are following the rules too, you should be aiming for at least 3 road bikes so this one would perfectly fit the slot for wet weather and mudguards. (If you end up enjoying road biking with all the skinny tired weirdness and lack of cornering ability...)
Removed User 28 Aug 2013

The choice is huge and specific to your own needs but I will say this only once....buy the highest spec bike you can afford at the time.

It will save you money later on.
 thedatastream 28 Aug 2013
In reply to SecretSquirrel: Decathlon, B'Twin Triban 3. £300 well spent and more than capablefor good road riding. By the time you've ridden it for a couple of years you'll have learned what you like and don't like about bikes making your next purchase much better informed. Also, if you don't take to road cycling as well as you thought then you haven't wasted loads if money.

The reason so many people recommend this bike is that it really is quite good, especially for the money.

You also have a path to upgrade the components as you go (e.g. better wheels, clipless pedals etc)
 TobyA 28 Aug 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Problem with a triple is it never runs a sweet as a double,

I bought my road bike because it was heavily discounted at the end of the season and it just happened to come with a triple. Then a year later I bought a cyclocross bike for similar reasons and that came with a double.

On the road bike the groupset is 105, on the CX it's a mix of Sora but with a Microshift front mech. Anyway, the triple on my road bike just runs far better than the double on my CX, in fact the front mech on that is the one thing I want to upgrade just to see if that will improve things. So my point is if you have a decent quality triple it can be A LOT better than a lower end double.

Just generally I find the 105 groupset a joy to ride in comparison to the Sora stuff, so I would say if you can find a bike that fits with 105 kit on sale, seriously consider it.
In reply to thedatastream: They seem pretty good for the money but the bottom brackets do go quick (like all cheap bikes seem to), also a definite -1 on triples from me.
 thedatastream 28 Aug 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Define "quick"? Everything wears out after all. New bottom bracket is £15, hardly costly.
In reply to thedatastream: Two mate's of mine have got decathlon bikes and they've both asked me to change the bb within a year. I don't know where they get these bb's from, I've had ten quid deore ones that lasted years. To change it you need crank tools (octolink specific) and a bb tool (also octolink specific) so a bit more than that unless you know someone with the tools.
 Oceanic 28 Aug 2013

That bike is quite similar to the one our mutual Polish friend rides, and she seems happy with hers, so I suspect that you will like it too.

I'm quite surprised that you've been finding the gears too low on the road bike you have been riding. As people get more into cycling they usually find that the cadence they can pedal at increqases, so I suspect that in time you will find the top gear starts to feel high enough.

I wonder if infact the 34 x 26 bottom gear on the bike you mentioned is low enough for hilly Derbyshire? Personally I'd choose a 34 x 28 bottom gear, but agian, O's bike has a 34 x 25 bottom gear, which is higher than 34 x 26 and she seems to find it ok.

I think there's also a considerable advantage in buying from J if it ever needs fixing.

Paul F 28 Aug 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to Strachan)
>
ribble and planet x (both on-line sales only).

Planet X have a store/showroom just down the road from me.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/contact/sheffield

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/how-to-find-us/
In reply to Oceanic:
A little bird told me she was thinking of upgrading, not sure if she's keeping her old bike or selling it on but us probably about the right size for me so I should ask it I can try it out.
I should also check how last weeks hills compare to the local ones. And hopefully I won't meet the angry dude in the green rangerover, that was only just down the road from here!
 Oceanic 29 Aug 2013

Knowing O, I suspect the upgrade has more to do with a lust for shiny new kit rather than being because there is anything wrong with the bike! So it could be a good buy. That saqid I think she's done a lot of miles on it since she bought it a little over a year ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it needs some parts replacing.
 JohnnyW 29 Aug 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to SecretSquirrel)
>
> One of my +1's at the moment is a Decathlon Triban 3 as it is getting good reviews from the roadie crowd and costs £300. If you are following the rules too, you should be aiming for at least 3 road bikes so this one would perfectly fit the slot for wet weather and mudguards. (If you end up enjoying road biking with all the skinny tired weirdness and lack of cornering ability...)

Bought my wife one a few weeks ago. Very pleased with it. Carbon forks and a 6061 frame for £300! OK, folks say the bb goes, and the triple isn't slick. Well a £10 bb is hardly an issue after that saving, and she needs the triple currently for the hills.
And it looks the biz with her Selle Royalle Donna seat.
Bargain imo
In reply to Oceanic:
Yeah, she's been commuting back and forth from work so it probably does have a fair bit of wear and tear. Can't remember which model she has but if its a good size it could be one for me to check out new.
I'm quite keen to buy from Zepnat whatever I go for - would be nice to support my local bike shop plus J is giving me loads of helpful advice for both this and improving set up for my mountain bike so it seems kind of mean to then just order online from somewhere else.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I'm planning to get down to the bike shop on the weekend to have a proper look. Can't wait to get out riding again!
 Oceanic 29 Aug 2013

O's bike is a Raleigh Airlite 100. Agree with you on the Zepnat Cycles thing. I think it makes sense to buy from them.
 Wee Davie 29 Aug 2013

I got a Specialized Allez Triple cheap off Gumtree. The guy had got it on cycle to work, used it 3 times then given up- so it was basically as new when I got it. The brakes aren't very good compared my mtb discs, but it seems excellent otherwise and it'll do me for a few years.
So it turns out that when your mate works in a bike shop a carbon frame is within the budget after all. Definitely top end of the price range I'd been considering for bike + shoes etc, but overall a good deal.

I now have a beautiful Raleigh SP Elite, which feels like a pretty quick bike. Just need to get used to its handling and the road conditions round here so that I can give it the ride it deserves.
 jethro kiernan 01 Sep 2013
In reply to SecretSquirrel: Enjoy looks like a nice bike good to see Raleigh getting some good bikes out remember looking at my Dads Raliegh cataloge in the 80's with the Raleigh Record
 Oceanic 02 Sep 2013
> I now have a beautiful Raleigh SP Elite

Cool!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...