Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - GPS for hiking

flopsicle - on 28 Aug 2013
I'd like to get a GPS for general use in the hills. I've spent lots of time out and about without great map reading skills but staying within my limits. I'm not looking to suddenly disappear over the horizon with blind faith in a bit of hand held kit. That said, I now have my 5 yr old in tow which even on a simple walk has left me wishing I was an OS wizard (even though we've been fine!).

What I'm looking for is something to support my ropey map reading skills and something extremely reliable should we ever get in strife and need to give an accurate position.

I have GPS on my smartphone but it loses it's signal as often as it keeps it and the battery life is short when it's on. Basically I don't trust it and it's put me off just using the phone GPS function.

I've just upgraded my car sat nav and it's been an education in just how much improved systems can get - that they are not all the same when it comes to keeping or losing signal and usability.

Any advice welcome.
... not showing 30 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums